Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Quack Addict
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out hunting this morning and when I was picking up I found the farmers dog dead along the river with a conabear stuck around its head and the cable all tied up around its back leg. I then had to go up and tell the farmer that his dog was dead needless to say he wasnt too happy. He's lucky my dog didnt find one or there would of been blood :x

·
Pelican
5,725 Posts
I'm not a trapper because I don't have enough time in my fall but some year would like to give it a try. My question for trappers is there really a point in useing a trap that could kill a dog? Isn't that overkill? Or is there a mindset of you could catch a coyote with it?

·
Quack Addict
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, I pulled the picture. Didnt think about peta using it, just gets me extremly pissed when this happens there is absolutly no reason at all to be using this size of trap.

·
Man without a Plan
2,748 Posts
huntaholic
Its ok to post that he was an idiot but don't need to add the f bomb to it. Please keep it nice in here.
We all make mistakes. We don't mind taking a few shots or some good ribbing but leave the harsh stuff out.

·
Registered
423 Posts
[ there is absolutly no reason at all to be using this size of trap.[/quote]

The reason that a trapper will use this size of trap is for coyotes and beaver. I have actually caught deer like this before, of course nothing intentional. There are so many variables why he caught the farmers dog but never the less it is a bad situation.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
BOttom line is, did he have permission to have traps on that land? If so, he should have talked that over with the farmer for this reason.

When I was a kid I trapped some around our farm and my Dad made me go around and tell some of our surrounding neighbors what we would have and the general direction. We still managed to catch a few dogs every year in our coyote sets. but only by leg and never had one hurt bad.

·
Banned
8,540 Posts
First off is the river a meandering stream??? If so the guy doesnt need permission. Second off was the trap over 200 yards from an inhabitated building??? If so the guy is in the complete right to trap there. 3rd off. Home come the dog is off the farm yard anyway???

·
Registered
832 Posts
So was this a big dog? Or was it a small dog caught in a 220?

I was just asking because all 330 Conibear sets are only legal if set under water. Which it takes a big trap to catch a big dog. I run beagles for rabbits and don't really care for any Conibears, but I try to wait until late season and stay away from areas I know get trapping pressure.

Sorry about the farmers dog and that anyone that had to see it.

The law states...

From the Iowa DNR website:

Body-gripping and Conibear-type Traps
You cannot set or maintain any body-gripping
or conibear-type trap on any public road right-ofway
within 5 feet of any fence.
Humane traps, or traps designed to kill instantly,
with a jaw spread as originally manufactured
that exceeds 8 inches, are unlawful to use except
when placed entirely under water

·
Huntress
6,003 Posts
It sure looked like a 330 and a decent sized dog... but I only glanced for a second because it was a pretty sad picture. I'm curious if that was the case?? I'm not always one to pay attention to details so I could be wrong without being able to look back at the picture.

While I see how posting the pics could be harmful if shared with those looking in from the outside - personally, I'm glad I saw it because it is a good reminder that we need to be careful about wandering pets. Ideally they'll hang around the farmstead but anyone with a dog knows that they wander sometimes.

·
Banned
8,540 Posts
IAtaxidermist said:
I don't think we need to bash dukkilr like on the other site, here. Hes not the one that set the bear trap. What happens if a little kid steps on one of these?
a 330 conibear will hurt around your leg. I have had one go off on mine before. Big difference though they stand upright so the animal travels through it unlike a foothold that snaps up. Also if the 330 was in the proper spot which is under water or mostly under water, it still boggles my mind as to how the dog got in it.

·
Quack Addict
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I probally shouuld of named this thread something else. There are a great number of variables that had to happen for this to end this way. Granted if the farmer would of kept his dog closer to home he wouldnt of been killed which he even admited. also though the trap was only about 300-400 yards from the farm. The main point of this was to heed a warning to eberybody who hunts with a dog that these thing are out there and can kill quickly, like I said my lab was running up and down the bank burning off some piss and vinegar while I was setting up this morning and it could of easily of been him in that trap!

·
Huntress
6,003 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.