Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we are in jeporday of losing our two seperate zones we have??????

I am starting to think that some may be using the loss of our two zones as a smoke screen to advance a personal agenda of a MO valley zone.

We should be circling the wagons around our north and south zone campaign but this Mo valley thing keeps popping up. If we cloud the issues with the NRC and Guy they are going to start thinking we are after more than what we really are right now.

I can see Guy saying..."Looks like you guys won't be happy until you all have your zone so we will just put the entire state under one season.

BY the way....Anyone got anymore email replies other than from Greg Drees?

· Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Heres the reply I go from him

Jeff,

Thanks for your email regarding the waterfowl regulations. I appreciate input from fellow duck hunters.
I proposed a week later start date for the second opener in the south zone that was published in the Notice of Intended Action in April. DNR waterfowl biologist conducted a survey that he says reveals most hunters prefer an earlier start, thus his new proposal to push that date back a week. I strongly disagree, feeling the survey is archaic and unreliable.
In my 4+ years on the Natural Resource Commission, I am on the record as always favoring the latest start dates possible in both zones. As a 50-year duck hunter, I will continue to support the later starts.

Greg Drees
Chair, NRC

· Registered
284 Posts
Heres the reply I go from him

Jeff,

Thanks for your email regarding the waterfowl regulations. I appreciate input from fellow duck hunters.
I proposed a week later start date for the second opener in the south zone that was published in the Notice of Intended Action in April. DNR waterfowl biologist conducted a survey that he says reveals most hunters prefer an earlier start, thus his new proposal to push that date back a week. I strongly disagree, feeling the survey is archaic and unreliable.
In my 4+ years on the Natural Resource Commission, I am on the record as always favoring the latest start dates possible in both zones. As a 50-year duck hunter, I will continue to support the later starts.

Greg Drees
Chair, NRC
Who were the hunters they surveyed? No one asked me!

· Registered
171 Posts
I would much rather hunt later in the year then earlier. The problem is these surveys get alot of fair weather hunters who arnt out there bustin ice and freezin. They where they are getting that people would rather hunt earlier.

· Registered
165 Posts
On the other hand Adam, it just isn't Bill that would benefit from the "third zone". Dean and I are close enough it would be an opportunity for us "west coasters" another opportunity to hunt if the zone were open a little later. This also opens up the side of things that we will spend the money for licenses in Iowa not Missouri, for a later hunt if we wanted to.

· Registered
493 Posts
I would much rather hunt later in the year then earlier. The problem is these surveys get alot of fair weather hunters who arnt out there bustin ice and freezin. They where they are getting that people would rather hunt earlier.
Its not just that they are fair weather hunters... many of them stop hunting waterfowl to start hunting other species and the surveys don't address this issue! I would prefer it to be cold when we start (I HATE sweating throwing out/picking up dekes)!
Also, why do we have to have the goose open at the same time as duck season??

· Registered
2,198 Posts
I also believe that we should put most of our effort on supporting the 2 zone split and then move forward after we get that to get the 3rd zone. Everything is important but having the 2 zone split is more important in my mind. HOpefully the NRC has gotten alot of emails from us and realizes that Iowa and Guy is moving backwards with things while every other state is moving forward. Plain nuts!

Interesting article from the Illionis dnr about them making the state into 4 zones while the Iowa DNR is trying to make our state into one basically. Call me crazy but the IDNR is nuts!

Axe
I believe the reason's why they open on the same day is because people prefer to be able to hunt both while on the marsh and this has been in the dnr survey. That's another reason why having the zones start at the same date is BS, we miss out on another week in January for goose hunting which can be some of the best of the year with cold snowing conditions.

· the frugal fowler
3,197 Posts
If you were refering to my mention of the third zone in my email that you can find under the WAI forum, seasons proposal thread, I have a few thoughts on that.

I was using the third zone to our advantage. I think we can use the ideaology of more opprotunity for all by using the third zone for our argument against Guy's proposal. Expanding opportunity is what this is all about. I wil reference the third zone at the meeting on the 11th, but only to show that guys proposal is counter productive. The feds have granted us the ability for more and he is pushing for less. I will not push for a third zone at that meeting, just reference the destruction Guy's proposal brings of the possibility. I will directly reference the revenue that could be gained outside of the duck hunting community in the Missouri valley with the third zone.

We all need to be crafty and think of what could appeal to the non hunting NRC members.

I got an email from Margo, but I think she is one of the 3 that is on our side. Its the new guys we have to worry about. New members, a late proposal, and the biased hunters survey data is not a good situation. Guy has the odds stacked in his favor, we need all we can to turn this around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.