Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have been hunting for years now but all I ever blew for a goose call was Mick Lacey flute. I could make it sound pretty good, but I taught myself the short reed last week on the Canada Hammer 2. I am very impressed by the much nicer sound. I would like some input on some nice short reeds that you guys prefer. I have taken the flute off the lanyard and am strictly short reed now because every goose I called at last weekend came in fully committed. So lets hear your preferences!

Thanks,

Corey

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Foiles Strait Meat Honker and Otter Memory Maker are what I have on my lanyard. You just need to blow all of em to find out what you like. I blew a Lynch Mob Executioner last weekend and I believe that will be my next call due to how nice it sounds and it is really easy to make those low sounds with. just my .2

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
you're going to get a lot of answers on this one! heres my 2cents...if you are a novice caller, then you should start on zink call, or something similar from one of our sponsors. they blow very easy because of the way they are designed...if you are looking for something that will be slightly more challenging, go for something like a foiles that has a slighlty medium chamber and insert, or the lynch mobs are awesome as well...if you are looking for the most challenging, but something that will have the best all around sound, go for something that is made by tim grounds. grounds calls take a lot of air, but always sound great once you get them down. just go somewhere and try a few out and see which one feels right. if you live close to someone who has them, i hear the shultz calls are awesome and i've also had great luck with river mallard calls, and i know a lot of guys blow otter calls as well. having a call from a local boy is great because of the service you get and because you can go see them in person if you have a? or concern

for my taste, right now i'm using a grounds super mag

·
Registered
702 Posts
I agree that you are going to get alot of answers here. I use a SMH and a HPH. I have found those are the two calls that I can use and make sound pretty good Like it was said earlier you need to go to a store and try multiple calls to find one that fits you.

·
Banned
8,540 Posts
A Tim Schultz short reed. He is a sponsor here on the site and right now is closing out some of his acrylic short reeds also. Might want to get ahold of him. I bought his longer short reed and it is very easy to use so I went ahead and bought his shorter short reed and it is just as good!!!!

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Hitting up the hunting stores and blowing different goose calls will help you realize which one you like most. Going during waterfowl semiars/shows is even a better idea because you can talk to the call makers.

Around my lanyard are Winglock's and Lynch Mob's. My buddies that I hunt with blow alot of SMH's but I've never been found of the call since it doesn't run as smoothly for me as the Winglock's and Lynch Mob's.

The winglock I have is a Whisperer and its a quiet call but very easy to blow along with a original that is easy to blow but louder too. The Lynch Mob is the Goose Noose and it has the widest range of sounds and is easy to blow as well. It just has alittle different break over point then the Winglock's.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Gude said:
Lynch Mob X-Factor
McMurder said:
Lynch Mob
Wow guys, thanks for all the info. :? :lol: I know damn well you guys can expand on those responses. Help the kid out with a little info on LM's and maybe he'll help you out (sale). :idea: P.S. I do need to get my hands on an X-Factor and give it a rip or two.

Corey, like Mike (camohunter) said the best thing to do is go to Scheels, Frontier Outfitting, and Sportsman's and blow some calls. I used to only blow my SMH, now all I really blow is my Showtime with worn-in guts in it and my Executioner here and there. It's all personal preference, because your style of blowing a call is different than everyone else's style...which IMO is part of the reason there are so many successful call makers out there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.