Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
7,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone have left to do??? We have to just decide to either hunt the river or the field. Got everything else ready to go. Even the robo is up and charged and ready to go also.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Thats about the same here, just cant make the final decision on where to hunt Saturday morning too many options

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Decoys are ready to roll.
Blinds are grassed.
Dog is restless.
Field is loaded with mallards and teal...hell, even the snow goose made an appearance tonight.

All that's left to do is to wait.

Its gonna get ugly Saturday.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Same here. Not sure where to go yet. We have at least 4 options right now. Getting the FB Mallards ready to go for sure.

·
Pelican
5,482 Posts
Scout locally, and put the blind on the boat for the marshes. Other than that I'm Ready to get back to waterfowling man! This is the time year that floats my boat, fooling fully plumaged out migrators and seeing huge ass flocks of birds in ugly weather. Some body give me a HELL YA! :wink:

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
HELL YA :twisted:

·
Registered
184 Posts
The blind is on the boat. It needs a little camouflage other than that I just have to decide how I can legally beat everyone else to the spot with a 5hp go devil.

·
Registered
127 Posts
DocRay- What did it cost you to put those together?? I was thinking of doing the same thing in an indvidual set.

chris

·
Registered
389 Posts
Ty515 said:
DocRay- What did it cost you to put those together?? I was thinking of doing the same thing in an indvidual set.

chris
All in... about $80 per decoy. That includes battery. Everything except the charger.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Gotta wire up some new headlights on the boat blind, and toss the dekes in.
Lookin like a field will probably be in store for Saturday morning, and maybe hit the marsh Sunday morning.

Gonna be great weather for an opener, just hope we get blessed with some working ducks and strait shots!

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Gude, are seeing mostly greenwings? Because the last day of our 5 day duck season, a buddy and I shot 8 teal.....only 2 were bluewings, which made me believe that the bluewings were gone for the most part. But I talked to my uncle a few days ago (SE Iowa) and he said there are tons of ducks in general, but lots of bluewings. Not sure if he's smokin' crack or not. :lol:

DocRay, that looks sweet. Are those black tubes bubblers that splash water or what? How's that work exactly? And how much do you have in that rig? I'm assuming you'll run them off a deep cycle battery? Thanks

·
Registered
389 Posts
They'll each have their own 12 V battery. The black tube throws water from the bilge pump. Those four cost me about $300 to make; Walmart doesn't carry the $10 bilge pumps anymore :( I'm getting reimbursed by my buddies. They're pretty fun to make and I don't have a problem throwing a few together for people!

·
Registered
751 Posts
I have to put the blind on and scout yet. Been watching alot of geese fly over my house to nearby fields but really want to hit the marsh. Far as blue wings, we were 7 hours north of Winnipag and there were flocks of 50 or more coming into the spread at times. Then the 4th day they were all gone!! Then the green wings started arriving. Im sure there will be some around. I cant wait to start shooting the fully plumed green wings. They are so cool lookin..

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Doc and browninga5m, thanks for the replies.

Doc, if/when you get some photos and/or video of those decoys doing their thing in the water, I would love to see them. Thanks

browninga6m, I know what you mean about the plumed out greenwings. Every year, I shoot at least a few that are mounter quality and have yet to pull the trigger and actually save one for the wall. Maybe this year, I will save one. Al and I shot a few that were starting to color out on the last day of our 5 day season. The heads were brown (still light brown, not the dark redish brown like they will get) and their chests were starting to color out. We were a long ways away from them, but had binos and the drake mallards we saw today seemed to be colored out nicely.

As for getting ready, I have lots of odds and ends I would like to get done but won't. I have 4 dozen mallard decoys I need to get tied up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts