Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wetland habitat condition across Iowa have been posted at http://www.iowadnr.gov/wildlife/files/waterfowlmigration.html

We plan on adding links to make the document easier to use. It is posted “as is” for now so it is available prior to Saturday’s opener.

Migration counts.
The goal is to have the unit survey information posted by noon on Fridays

·
Quack Addict
2,750 Posts
I see that this is about as acurate as thier bird counts. I was up around elk creek Tuesday and all three pools are way above crest levels with 4-6" of water running over the boards!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The amount of water running over the boards is not always related to crest level. Elk Creek has a large watershed and heavy rains can change conditions quickly. Pool A is in the process of being lowered to create mud flats for loafing areas and the water taken off of Pool A is being used to raise B&C. The boards in Pool B are currently set at two foot below crest. This is to keep food at an available level for the waterfowl in the shallower areas of the refuge. As stated, this will be raised to crest for the second opener. Since Pool C is also receiving additional water from A, was 6” low when the biologist submitted his report and you state there is 4-6” inches of water flowing over the boards, then pool C may very well be near or at crest.

This report isn’t meant to replace preseason scouting, but for hunters who like to (or must) travel distances to hunt, it isn’t always practical to check out an area prior to the opener. I know it would help me decide which boat to take, or even if I wanted to take a boat at all.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The wetland habitat page has been updated so that the links now work. I have also added links to our online maps for each area listed. I hope you will find this useful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.