Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Waterfowl Association of Iowa's 6th annual Iowa Waterfowl Summit will be held Saturday August 28 at Bass Pro Shops 2901 Bass Pro Drive
Council Bluffs, IA 51501.

There will be a tour of Haynie Slough at 10 am.
To get to Haynie slough from I-29 take the Glenwood/Hwy 34 exit.
Go east 4 miles to the Glenwood/Hwy 385 exit.
Go southwest 1.9 miles on Hwy 385 to Kesterson Road.
Go south on Kesterson Road 3/4 mile, then turn right (west) 1/4 mile, then turn left (south) on 215th Street.
Go south 2 miles, then turn right (west) on Nellen Road for 1/2 mile.

Nellen Road is a Level B maintenance road (some rock, but not great). If there has been rain in the previous 24 hours travel on Nellen Road may not be a good idea. If that is the case we will meet at the corner of Nellen Road and 215th Street.

The speaker portion of the program will be held at Bass Pro beginning at 1:00 pm (lunch on your own)

Speakers will include:
Tom Cox, USFWS refuge manager at Desoto National Wildlife refuge.
Carl Priebe, IDNR management biologist, speaking about the 2009 waterfowl migration.
Doug Chafa, IDNR management biologist on wetland restorations in the
Missouri River valley.
Wayne Nelson Stastney, USFWS Missouri River Natural Resources Coordinator

There is also an evening tour at Desoto National Wildlife refure starting at 6:15. We will meet at the Visitors center.

DeSoto National Wildlife Refuge is located 25 miles north of Omaha, Neb., on U.S. Highway 30, between Missouri Valley and Blair, Neb.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I would like to thank JR for his work not only to have everything in order at the summit but for his hard work year round for the ducks and duck hunters of this state.
Yes the summit had very poor hunter attendance but for those that were there it was a very rewarding summit.
Speakers brought their "A" game in my opinion and there was plenty of time for all questions.
We all get upset at times with folks from the DNR but those guys are busting their buts to help all of us hunters.
Thanks Jeremy
Dean

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Happy to do it Dean, and thanks for the cookies. 8)

The one good thing about the small turn out is that we could be a bit less formal and get in great discussion with the speakers. For those that were there I think I can say it was a fantastic learning opportunity.

I just got home tonight, spent Sunday at my brother's and ran a chainsaw a bit at his in-laws then had a meeting in Des Moines today.
The watershed planning atsk force I served on a couple years ago has now become the watershed planning advisory committee to the Water Resources Coordinating Council (WRCC) that the task force's recommendetions spawned.

The idea behind creating the WRCC was to coordinate the funding from the myriad sources and the implementation of water quality projects so more could be done on the landscape. Progress on that front seems to be slow, hopefully the advisory committee can bump that along because almost all water quality improvements also have wildlife benefits.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.