Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner

Waterfowl Rules Topic of June 7 Public Meeting

4K views 29 replies 6 participants last post by  Matt 
#1 ·
Proposed Spring Turkey, Waterfowl Rules Topic of June 7 Public Meeting
Posted: May 24, 2011
DES MOINES - The Iowa Department of Natural Resources is hosting a public meeting on June 7 to discuss proposed changes to the waterfowl and spring turkey hunting seasons.
The proposed amendments to the waterfowl rules are annual adjustments to the season dates to comply with federal regulations and to ensure the season is open on weekends.
There is also a proposed change in the north-south duck zone and the north-south goose zone boundaries. The proposed zone would begin at the Iowa-South Dakota border at Interstate 29, then southeast to Woodbury County Road D38, east to Woodbury County Road K45, southeast to State Hwy. 175, then along the current boundary.
The proposed amendments for spring turkey hunting includes lengthening the youth season from three to nine days and change the starting date for the regular turkey season from the Monday closest to April 13, to the Monday closest to April 15. The proposal would allow youth hunters more time to hunt during the youth season and moves the regular season back an average of three days.
Any interested person may make written suggestions or comments on the proposed amendment on or before June 7, 2011. Written comments may be directed to Bureau Chief, Wildlife Bureau, Wallace State Office Building, 502 E. 9th Street, Des Moines, IA 50319-0034; by email at wildlife@dnr.iowa.gov or by fax at 515-281-6794. Persons who wish to convey their comments orally may call 515-281-5034 or visit the fourth floor of the Wallace State Office Building during regular business hours.
A public meeting will be held at 1 p.m., June 7, 2011, in the second floor auditorium in the Wallace State Office Building. Persons may present their views either orally or in writing. Participants will be asked to give their names and addresses for the record and to confine their remarks to the subject under discussion. Any persons who intend to attend the public hearing and have special requirements such as those related to hearing or mobility impairments should contact the Department of Natural Resources and request specific accommodations.

See less See more
#4 ·
I think someone should propose to use 2 tags when ever they dang well please and scratch seasons all together and have 1 month long turkey season! Herumph! Herumph!

More licences sold more birds shot. Crowd screaming Doug for President!
You sound like you need to take up bow hunting! I'm not a big fan of your idea because I hunt pretty much public land only and I think the 4 seasons really spread the pressure out.....now offering the chance at a 3rd tag I would be all over.

#5 ·
I hunt both public and private and have way more success(x's 20) earlier vs later. Talking a chance to shoot doubles or back to back day birds vs waiting to go 4th season where your lucky to call in a tom, without putting a asspot of hunting in(expensive). Then not everyone is forced to, hunt when its windy or rainy or go into the woods with mushroomers or hunt birds that have heard and seen every call, decoy, and hunter or hunt when the farmer is planting.

I know I spent close to 500$ this year on the Iowa turkey, and you can chalk most of that up to 4th season gas on all the trips it took me to shoot nothing. Thats more then I spend on deer to fill the freezer and I only get 3 meals of turkey per bird.

To me its like raising the goose limits, one wants to capitolize on the resource when it finally does or is happening. Success ratio per Iowa hunter on the Iowa turkey is to shitty not to try something different. Thats my side of the story. I'm sure some will say it will mess up breeding oppurtunities, I'd go out on a limb and say most of the hens are knocked up before season even gets here.

#6 ·
I hunt both public and private and have way more success(x's 20) earlier vs later. Talking a chance to shoot doubles or back to back day birds vs waiting to go 4th season where your lucky to call in a tom, without putting a asspot of hunting in(expensive). Then not everyone is forced to, hunt when its windy or rainy or go into the woods with mushroomers or hunt birds that have heard and seen every call, decoy, and hunter or hunt when the farmer is planting.

I know I spent close to 500$ this year on the Iowa turkey, and you can chalk most of that up to 4th season gas on all the trips it took me to shoot nothing. Thats more then I spend on deer to fill the freezer and I only get 3 meals of turkey per bird.

To me its like raising the goose limits, one wants to capitolize on the resource when it finally does or is happening. Success ratio per Iowa hunter on the Iowa turkey is to shitty not to try something different. Thats my side of the story. I'm sure some will say it will mess up breeding oppurtunities, I'd go out on a limb and say most of the hens are knocked up before season even gets here.
You scare me sometimes.

#25 ·
I wrote three diss messages and could not hit the submit button....God I'm gettin old:rolleyes:.......... next year, save your tag money....I'll match it and add to it, and we will buy a keg....drain it, and at the end of the night I'll cunt punt you.....{then}.....in the morning{ noonish} you will still wake up happier than you would of tryin to shoot a 4th season turk.........

problem solved.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.