Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, as the season has come to a close I am looking at getting into waterfowl photography for next year! I have always loved the thought of capturing pictures of my hunts, and was just looking for some pointers to get started.

I have a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTI that is currently laying around and I was wondering if this is ample enough to get me started down at least a beginners path? Any other good resources for information would be much appreciated, as I am rather green to the in's and out's of lens, cameras, etc. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Well if you thi duck hunting is addictive, wait till you start taking pictures. First thing you'll want to learn how to do is shoot in manual. You'll get way more satisfaction out of your photos and shoot with your camera in raw mode instead of jpeg. Shooting in raw allows you way more flexibility when you start editing.
Now is the best time to take pics of birds cause there are so many around, although our DNR thinks that there aren't any huntable numbers of ducks in Iowa in January.
There's TONS more you can do but not enough time for me to type here. I'm no expert by any means but I think my photos are getting better and you'll notice that right away. The more you take and experiment, the better you get. If you need ANY help, feel free to message me and I'll have you give me a call.
Good luck and get ready to have WAY more fun

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Nothing wrong with starting with the camera that you have now and built your equipment from there along with learning the basic in's and out's of the different camera settings.

You didn't list a lense that you have with your current body but in general, something in the 20 to 120mm range works great for hero shots, sunrises/sunsets and decoyed birds. If you are looking to get shots of further birds or get something really close, a 70-300mm is a good lense to start with depending on your budget.

Accessories I'd first recommend would be a remote shutter release if you are looking to shoot the gun and shoot the camera at the same time. I've put my camera behind me alot and once the birds are committed, I'll hit the remote right before I start to shoot the gun.

Like dukcaller mentioned, shooting in RAW gives a guy alot more room to edit pictures if you are looking to do that.

Youtube, dpreview, B&H PhotoVideo, Adorama has alot of tutorials and other information to learn from as well.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nothing wrong with starting with the camera that you have now and built your equipment from there along with learning the basic in's and out's of the different camera settings.

You didn't list a lense that you have with your current body but in general, something in the 20 to 120mm range works great for hero shots, sunrises/sunsets and decoyed birds. If you are looking to get shots of further birds or get something really close, a 70-300mm is a good lense to start with depending on your budget.

Accessories I'd first recommend would be a remote shutter release if you are looking to shoot the gun and shoot the camera at the same time. I've put my camera behind me alot and once the birds are committed, I'll hit the remote right before I start to shoot the gun.

Like dukcaller mentioned, shooting in RAW gives a guy alot more room to edit pictures if you are looking to do that.

Youtube, dpreview, B&H PhotoVideo, Adorama has alot of tutorials and other information to learn from as well.
Camohunter thanks for the advice! Would you recommend getting both a 20-120 and a 70-300 or can the 70-300 do everything the 20-120 can and more? Thanks for the clarification!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Has anyone tried any of the lenses they make to enhance the camera on a cell phone? The tech on the cameras on these phones now is amazing, and you can edit straight on the phone. I have seen products out there that are zoom lenses for the phone camera but I don’t know if they are junk or not.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
IW10
If you have funds available, yes I would purchase both lenses has they are both very useful in the blind. That being said, if I'd lean towards one or the other, I'd pick the 20-120mmish lense over the 70-300mm if you can only afford one.
I think the majority of my "great" shots have been with the 20-120 but I tend to try to capture the whole scene or a larger area while I'm out hunting or taking general landscape shots.

Cell phones are nice to take pictures in a snap but, if you are looking to edit or have something to hang on the way bigger then a 8x10, cell phone pictures won't hold up in my view. Yes, apple show's amazing pictures taken with their latest cell hone but what you dont know is the amount of equipment & price used to capture these images.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts