Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

· Man without a Plan
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There is another thread about giving information out on a Marsh but it got me to thinking how some guys become old and grizzled because of unwritten rules that get broken often. So I am putting this post up for a little bit of fun and also a little bit of information for the new guys out there.

Post up any or all you have come acrossed

Some unwritten rules quick sampling:
If I tell you about a spot you are not allowed to tell 10 friends or act like you now own it.

Please give me at least 200 yards more would be great.

Do not shoot at ducks working my decoys unless they come over yours and are within a good kill shot range perferrbly 20 yards or less.

If you drop a bird in my decoys and you are not with my group please retrieve it. I really do not want to have to take your bird and count it on my bag even if it is banded.

· Registered
1,430 Posts
#1 Don't invite your self along on a hunt.

#2 If you are invited do NOT invite someone else, this includes your dog.

#3 If you do invite your self, and you are told yes you can come BUT you HAVE to bring lunch...... A Case (24 cans) of coke is NOT lunch.

This list could go on and on

· Pro hunter
130 Posts
1. Bring TP
2. Chip in for gas
3. If you are a crappy caller (like myself) keep your call in your pocket.
4. If you hunt with someone that always falls asleep (KM) feel free to unload their gun.
5. Do not use electronic decoys
6. Do not fart in your waders
7 Hunt with a good retriever or at the very least use a Golden.

· Smelly Pirate Hooker
2,713 Posts
#1 Don't invite your self along on a hunt.

#2 If you are invited do NOT invite someone else, this includes your dog.

#3 If you do invite your self, and you are told yes you can come BUT you HAVE to bring lunch...... A Case (24 cans) of coke is NOT lunch.

This list could go on and on
Dont forget:
#4 Dont invite youself and invite a buddy that no one has ever met before

#5 If you are invited offer to pay for gas, bring lunch, carry the decoys, do most of the work....basicaly, show some appreciation (and no, I am not saying all of the above, just make an effort)

· Quack Addict
2,750 Posts
I think that hunting in general has gone down hill! Every year there seems to be more people less willing to work for it and just following around the ones that do do thier home work. I would love nothing more than to see capacity limits put on every public spot and make it a minnimum of 400 yards between sets. Nothing is better than setting up early in the wee hours of the morning and having some idiot set up right on top of you 1/2 hour before shooting!

· pimpin' suzies
2,651 Posts
FOR OTHER HUNTERS
-set-up in front and expect to get rained on or directly sprayed
-use good judgement on how close/far you should set up from another group
-dont pass shoot/skybust/dick around/// pretty much...be courteous to those around you

HUNTING WTH A GROUP
-if invited you are a GUEST... help out with some expenses or at least offer.. if you dont, dont expect to get invited agian... examples would be breakfast, pop, lunch, gas, cigars, snacks, dip, and or beer for after the hunt.. etc
-dont pull your call out unless you get invited to call... or a simple question such as "would you mind if i give some feed calls or quacks?" might be tollerable
-help with the process, decoys (setting/picking up/retrieving/re-arranging).. in other words.. dont be a dead beat... he is not your guide he is a hunting companion...
-dont treat it like he owes you anything.. you owe him alot more for the invite
-if you have to leave early, dont expect everyone to pack out at the same time... drive seperatly..
-dont give input uless asked for your input
-alow the shot to be called... dont be a "jack in the box".. which leads to another point.. dont attempt to call the shot unless asked to

another key if you want to have and keep a hunting partner... dont be seasonal... this is surley to put you on a fast track to be uninvited for other sesaons

thats just to name a few.. and i believe everyone else is on the right track too lol

· Huntress
6,003 Posts
Sounds like you guys hate your huntin' buddies. ;)

Reactions: JJLEFFLER

· IAW Coot Motivator
7,524 Posts

· IAW Coot Motivator
7,524 Posts
No spooning in the duck blind or layout blind.
Because when its just my gf and I in the blind theres always a little time for some spooning action:D

· Registered
521 Posts
If your invited on a hunt do not tell the person that invited you that they are doing things wrong, do not critique them, you get one suggestion for the day. Otherwise just sack up and have fun being invited!
This rule nearly killed me once
No spooning in the duck blind or layout blind.
I am proud to say I have violated this one

· Banned
8,540 Posts
If there are only a few groups on the marsh and the ducks are working another group don't HAIL call and blow them away from the other group let the other group work the birds. I see this ALOT in the marsh I hunt. Pisses me off to see it or have it happen to me!

It is a public marsh just because you had the x yesterday if someone beat you there today it isnt your spot it is a public place!

· Registered
1,065 Posts
I think that hunting in general has gone down hill! Every year there seems to be more people less willing to work for it and just following around the ones that do do thier home work. I would love nothing more than to see capacity limits put on every public spot and make it a minnimum of 400 yards between sets. Nothing is better than setting up early in the wee hours of the morning and having some idiot set up right on top of you 1/2 hour before shooting!
I heard that!!!!!!!!!!!! This happended to me 3x last year. I did not get discouraged. I just waited them out and got my limit when they left. Thanks for coming in later duckies. Haaayyyyy-ooohhhh!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.