Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A random question popped in my head the other night. When a mature Tom is killed, do Jake’s assume the lost leadership role in the pecking order, or does the flock disband and go their own way to find another mature bird?

Haven’t been able to find much data on the change in pecking order status so wanted to reach out and see if anyone knew.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
A random question popped in my head the other night. When a mature Tom is killed, do Jake’s assume the lost leadership role in the pecking order, or does the flock disband and go their own way to find another mature bird?

Haven’t been able to find much data on the change in pecking order status so wanted to reach out and see if anyone knew.
There are normally mature males in a flock that have been ( pecked ) into submission. When ole #1 goes it is open game for the ladies and the order re-sets itself.
The last double my son and I shot, he blasted the dominant bird. Two others ran away about 10 yards then came back and started shinning their shoes on the flopping gobbler. They realized the king was dead and with in a minute ole #2 puffed up in a strut. BOOM!! it was # 3's lucky day:)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is that usually the case when you see one tom and a bunch of Jake’s...that there’s likely another tom somewhere in the area?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Usually,
The Ladies need tended to :love:
Always some swinger hanging around the corner. And a Jake isn't going to satisfy.
This time of year a gobbler has two modes
F*#K
and
Fight
You can call him in with either..... Lover or Heavy Weight Champ

1 - 4 of 4 Posts