Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I am tossing around the idea of putting on a shallow drive mud motor. I currently have a 50HP Yamaha on my 1756 Alweld boat and thinking of going with a 35-40HP shallow drive with steering. I have not been around many mud motors and thought id put a post out here for suggestions or thoughts on what you would do. Last few years running my Yamaha during duck season I was sucking up quite a bit of grass and mud. Also, if anyone knows any leads for one that would be great!

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I have been running surface drive Mud Buddy motors since 2003. Never regretted the decision to make the switch. I run The Mississippi, Cedar, and Iowa rivers. Without my MB I wouldn't be able to get to my blind on the Cedar river. River is as low as I have seen it. I get about three seasons out of a prop, before sand makes it unusable
Water Cloud Boat Sky Vehicle
Water Cloud Boat Sky Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been running surface drive Mud Buddy motors since 2003. Never regretted the decision to make the switch. I run The Mississippi, Cedar, and Iowa rivers. Without my MB I wouldn't be able to get to my blind on the Cedar river. River is as low as I have seen it. I get about three seasons out of a prop, before sand makes it unusable View attachment 7175 View attachment 7175
Thanks for the info! I was concerned about the sand eating the prop so that’s good to know! Yes, the cedar is insanely low! I live on the Iowa and you can see the bottom clear across it.

·
Super Moderator
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info! I was concerned about the sand eating the prop so that’s good to know! Yes, the cedar is insanely low! I live on the Iowa and you can see the bottom clear across it.
Hey all,
I am tossing around the idea of putting on a shallow drive mud motor. I currently have a 50HP Yamaha on my 1756 Alweld boat and thinking of going with a 35-40HP shallow drive with steering. I have not been around many mud motors and thought id put a post out here for suggestions or thoughts on what you would do. Last few years running my Yamaha during duck season I was sucking up quite a bit of grass and mud. Also, if anyone knows any leads for one that would be great!
New to the forum. I hunt down in Louisiana in the Mississippi River marsh delta and we use Pro Drive motors. They do a great job for us. Check them out on Google. They have have full power reverse that is nice to have when you need it.
Know anyone that uses one with steering?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts