Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boys shot 54 up near the great lakes this weekend. That is 54 ducks. Mix bag if you will. They shot some nice pinnies today and 2 cans, 1 real nice 1 in fact. They even shot a blue wing. lol

Lauton NAWCA site, lots of ducks but hardly anyone killed anything. Seems we have a lot of duck hunters these days that throw decoys out only to pass shoot anything and everything no matter how high it is.

Browns Lake. Heard very little shooting and saw very few ducks work the lake.

Schneider, again heard very little shooting but that all relates to very few ducks.

New Lake. Had some shooting but I guess no more than the others.

As for me an the guys, we ended up killing 10 or 11 geese. We tried a group of snows , all adults and never killed a one. Had a group of 250 hit the field tonight with 1 snow present.

Haven't seen any migrant groups of ducks the past few days.
Ducks seem to be working the fields south of the plant and returning by 9:30 or 10 am
Today they got up a little late 9:30 as did the geese. Something strange about that. Conditions where about the same both days temp wise and wind wise. It was cloudy today is the only thing that changed.

Counted 18 deer this pm. They where on the move about 4 and it picked up as the day went on. They came out of the woodwork if you will. My friend Bob shot a nice 10pt today. He looks as if he was ready for the rut. Shot this am out of a ground blind.

Well, going to let the field settle for a few days so that means back up the tree I go. As I have said before, I get to set in my treestand and look at all the public waters plus the river. I can see a good ways out over the flats. Very low movement and numbers here in the region.

Woodbury

·
Chris Wearmouth
2,140 Posts
We had guys this weekend..had a whole shoreline across from us and set up directly across from us..this body of water is lucky to be 100 yards wide..we were peppering eachother all morning..just retarted..

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quacker

I hear you guys got a lot of ducks and a lot of water.
I dont mind doing reports if and when I can.

I will be leaving here in about 30 minutes.

·
Registered
236 Posts
central Iowa....had lots of birds work. Passed on 2 groups...tried to get them to center up for a newbie to get some of her first shots....had 1 flock do it of gadwall...and a pair of mallards and a solo bull pintail. The pintail was really cool...came over started to head out, did a few pintal wistles and he let it out in our face. Missed a single drake shovler, and a drake widgeon...came screaming in wingtips locked and just was behind them..

Ended the day with a Greenhead, Bull pintail, and a drake and hen Gadwall...unfortunately she didn't kill any.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts