Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our group headed out Saturday morning to burn a little gun powder on some wood ducks and happened to have a visitor show up out of the timber and join us. I generally wouldn't be a fan of this but the guy just kept hanging around so we decided to test his waterfowling skills. We were unaware of his name so dad designated him to be called "Jim" and he took a liking to his new found partners. We would shoot into a group and Jim would have some difficulty picking up exactly where the birds were landing since he didn't have a stool to sit on in the blind we had made. With the aid of rocks and hand signals, Jim looked the part of a seasoned waterfowler and went on to retrieve the better part of the bag we harvested that day.

The majority of the morning wood ducks dominated the sky but a group of four mallards gave the spread a look and we dispatched two out of the flock. One went down wounded across the hole into a large section of timber four hundred yards away. We took Jim to the other side of the hole and he disappeared into the thick brush only to appear five minutes later with the mallard in tow. He was given several pats on the back and jumped back into the boat ready for his next go around.

We had a couple wood ducks left to finish out and had a trio come rocketing in and we preceded to watch our new found friend retrieve the final birds of the day. After picking up we cruised back to the boat ramp with Jim perched proudly on the front of the boat riding high on life.

Shooting ducks is great, but watching the shear enjoyment he had hanging out with us that morning made the hunt and one memorable opener!

· Somateria spectabilis
14,103 Posts
So let's hear the rest of the story. Did you find Jim's home or does he now live with you?

· Somateria spectabilis
14,103 Posts
He belonged to a guy up the road. He said anytime we want to take him to swing by and pick him so we'll probably take him up on that.
If he's just a farm dog he might give him up if you stop to take him often enough. I had a buddy that came across a really good dog that way.

· Somateria spectabilis
14,103 Posts
It's too bad that a dog of that quality doesn't get to hunt more often. He is handsome.

· Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A couple of my buddies dropped him off at the house and didn't even think to ask what his real name was.

I'm still kickin Kruger. I haven't had a whole lot of motivation to practice this past year. Last year I blew in probably close to 14 or 15 contests and got somewhat burnt out and needed some time off. I plan on getting back into it this year now that I have some free time and a place to practice!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.