Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks over the past 3 years it has been a battle with the Navigational industry of Mo. and their continued quest to continue the COE management of the river to support the failed 3 million dollar industry. I ask my fellow Iowan's and Nebraskan's based on what you know about Mo. River Navigation in our reach of the Mo. River, should the COE continue to spend your tax payer dollars to manage our reach of the river to support navigation? Zero benefit to Iowa and very marginal benefit to southe eastern NE.

You must consider that over the past 8 years not a single barge has docked in the upper Sioux City Terminal and that is the only terminal Iowa has. Our federal tax dollars would be better spent on COE managing for Flood Control, Flood prevention and Flood mitigation, Hydro Power, water quality, fish n wildlife & recreation.

I need your help once again to send a message to our senators who are presently engaged in Mo. River Management discussions. I ask for your help to send Iowa & Nebraska Senators this message. As a resident of the state I ask that you De-Authorize the navigational channel from Sioux City Iowa to Saint Joe Mo. All resources should be spent to widen the Mo. River channel to slow it's destructive force down, rebuild some levy systems that have forced funneling of water that has created many breaches and massive flooding, Flood mitigation projects so that high volumes of water can be absorbed by the Flood plain to lesson the depth of flood waters and the duration of flood waters.

We demand that the COE be denied any resources to rebuild navigational invetments in the reach of the Mo. River from Sioux City Iowa to Saint Joe Mo. All resources granted to the COE should go directly into Flood Control, Flood Mitigation and Flood Prevention management in this specific reach of the river. This is a huge opportunity to be prepared the next time High releases are called for out of the main reservoir system. Through this implementation process we will be ready to take on high waters with marginal impacts to our constituents and lesson the major flooding down stream.

Navigation simply does not exist in this region of the river and we need to stop wasting federal tax payer dollars on a COE management process that calls for Ghost ship Management of the Upper Mo. River.

Folks drop Senator Harkin and E mail, Senator Grassley an E mail, Senator Ben Nelson an E mail, Rep Dave Bloomfield & Steve King and Senator Johanns an E mail. A liitle bit of help on this can go a very long way to ensure our limited federal tax dollars are not to be senselessly wasted on a industry that simply does not exist in our region of the Mo. River. We need to be making sound investments that provide tax payers a return on their dollars.

Thanks folks for your time, your help and your support on this vital issue.
It is vital to understand my fellow Iowans and Nebraskans time is very point critical on this request. These debates have just started and we need to support our senators to stand firm on the position.

Bill Smith
Sioux City Iowa
712-253-0362 c
712-274-3343 h
[email protected]

· Registered
1,705 Posts
just like waterfowl seasons and dates,zone boundries.those that speak up will be heard.with this flood and management change iowa has opperitunites too install vast amounts of new habitat along its western bourder. VAST!!!!bad dog

· Registered
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exactly and one of the largest contributing factors to that will be flood mitigation work. When water is this high you have to have a place to put it and let it be absorbed over some big areas.

Having the COE spend millions of dollars to maintain a navigational channel in our reach of the river is exactly like setting it on fire. Those resources would be better spent in flood mitigation projects and
widening the river channel out so as to slow it down. Repair on navigational invetments should be ZERO as again Iowa does not obtain a benefit from maintaining it's protion of the river for navigation. It simply does not make any sense to continue wasting those limited resources on something that simply does not exist.

We have got to let the senators know this.

Thanks Folks for your help on this.

· Registered
1,960 Posts
I think we are really missing the bigger picture and oppurtunity here.

How about we change the course of the river and fill it in along Iowa and give Council Bluffs and Siuox City to Ne? That way you can maybe hit up guys who really give a rats ass

Of course, that means you will have to leave this site and go to Ne Waterfowlers.com. Sorry bout that but don't hate the messenger.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.