1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Friday, April 15th.

522 Douglass Ave. Ames, IA, across from the public library

Doors open at 5:30, Dinner at 7ish

Aution will follow Dinner

We have two artists of the year with original work on the live auction. First is long time contributer Clif Rooney of Des Moines, with 2 decoy carvings, a working style carving of a BuffleHead drake, complete with shot embedded in the body, and a life-like carving of a Long-Tailed(Old Squaw) drake.

Second will be William Duver, Jr., also of Des Moines with our Print of the Year, which all paid memberships will receive a free print at the door from this original, and the original will be on the Live auction as well. William has won the past 2 P.O.Y competetions at the Iowa DU State Convention. He has been a great contributer to our event for the past several years also.

Games, raffles, silent and live auctions, general raffle, door prize for Early Bird tickets, and a women's raffle, as well as Greenwing raffle for the kids.

Tickets from now til April 8th are $40 for a single, $60 for couple, $260 for Bronze Sponsor. After April 8th, all ticket prices go up $5!!!

pm or email with other questions

tickets available on-line also at: www.ducks.org/iowa/events

I will post some pics of the originals when i get some more time.

Thanks, Chris

· Registered
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish I wasnt a broke college student I would love to donate some money and have a good time
A good portion of our committe are college students. If you can scratch a few extra bucks we'd love to have ya!!!

· Registered
1,588 Posts
Better to spend your money with Delta Waterfowl anyways Chris, at least a portion of it stays in that area.......

· Registered
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Better to spend your money with Delta Waterfowl anyways Chris, at least a portion of it stays in that area.......
better do some more research before you start touting that...thanks for hijackin my thread douche canoe:37: tell me how much money Delta has spent i iowa....yep! DU has spent over 3.5 mil the past three years in Iowa, spent more than we made statewide. so money is comin in from other area's and federal grant's.

Seems like most of your posts are negative towards DU and anybody that supports DU, Avery included, and so are many of your other post...does somebody have a turd lodged sideways???

· Registered
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
DuckSlayer-

There are 2 different philosophy's from DU and Delta....I will take the High Road and not bash of Delta, like some other people would do. I am a member of Delta also.

Delta's take is on predator control which is a great start, but merely a band-aid on the problem. Control the predators and the ducks will do better the following year...then the year after that the predators will flourish due to hi populations of ducks and easy prey...less work and stress on breeding predators will create higher breeing success, just like anything else. Duck populations will suffer due to more predators, so its a continuing cycle.

DU's take is put more breeding habitat on the ground to create more places for ducks to breed and to restore the millions of acres lost due to farming and urban sprawl. Money that you spend at DU events will go to "high priority" area's or where the ducks traditionally want to migrate back to in the spring. Much of it is pure economics where the money is spent. Example: 1 acre of ground in the Dakota's- $700-$1000. 1 acre of ground in Iowa-$4000-$10,000 an acre. More bang for the buck in the Dakota's:( For years DU spent a large portion of the money in the Dakota's and traditional breeding or production states and people said "I won't spend my money at DU cause they spend their money in other states" Yes that is true for a long time trying to save prime breeding grounds in the Dakotas and other northen states before they were all drained for crop production. Its simple biology, why they did what they did and focused their attention where they did. Ducks want to go here to breed so we need to protect these vital area's for future broods to be raised. Now much more is being spent in staging and wintering area's.

I won't try to swing you either way where to spend money on conservation, but I will give you an answer that is more than an uneducated guess, of what my dad told me what DU is about.

Hope we see you there

· Registered
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can determine where your money goes with DU if you are a sponsor and choose from 4 different campaigns in Iowa. Costs as little as $21 a month to sponsor.

All the conservation organizations can say all the money will be spent in the area it was raised, and if they do, they are not tellin you the truth. Delta included

· Registered
1,588 Posts
DU was a good program till they got into politicts. Sure that have done alot of great things, including maintaining and making new breeding habitat, restoring wetlands, and supporting the production of winter wheat (great breeding habitat for puddle ducks). They do alot of great things, they spread their money out as decently as they can.

Where they went wrong, was supporting cap and trade, and awhile back they had a huge article about farmers illegally draining wetlands. The backlash of that article was bad. Basically every farmer who was draining legally and illegaly all got grouped up and hauled to court. From personally experince about 90% of farmers drain legally in my area.( Basically central to eastern North Dakota, and some western Minnesota) There are always bad apples that ruin it for everyone. But what that did was cause alot of farmers to hate DU (encluding myself and my family, we were draining legally and went to court and spent thousands of dollars and countless hours, doing so). So because of that article, DU has pushed many farmers away from supppoting DU, and in return, close access to hunt grounds.

And to make things worse then supported the cap and trade policy, when would have basically bankrupted farmers all over the USA. In my mind, they weren't biting the hand that feeds then, but they did flash teeth and scrap the hand some.

The downfall of Delta Waterfowl, will come when they get too large for themselves like DU and become policial. In order for any organization to function, it will someday have to take sides, it sucks, but that's how life is.

I'm not a hateful guy, its just that I see things different because of my location and my background. Everyone has opinions and I'm a person who isn't scared to voice them, even when they aren't popular.

· Registered
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

· Registered
1,588 Posts

· Registered
2,350 Posts
DU was a good program till they got into politicts. Sure that have done alot of great things, including maintaining and making new breeding habitat, restoring wetlands, and supporting the production of winter wheat (great breeding habitat for puddle ducks). They do alot of great things, they spread their money out as decently as they can.

Where they went wrong, was supporting cap and trade, and awhile back they had a huge article about farmers illegally draining wetlands. The backlash of that article was bad. Basically every farmer who was draining legally and illegaly all got grouped up and hauled to court. From personally experince about 90% of farmers drain legally in my area.( Basically central to eastern North Dakota, and some western Minnesota) There are always bad apples that ruin it for everyone. But what that did was cause alot of farmers to hate DU (encluding myself and my family, we were draining legally and went to court and spent thousands of dollars and countless hours, doing so). So because of that article, DU has pushed many farmers away from supppoting DU, and in return, close access to hunt grounds.

And to make things worse then supported the cap and trade policy, when would have basically bankrupted farmers all over the USA. In my mind, they weren't biting the hand that feeds then, but they did flash teeth and scrap the hand some.

The downfall of Delta Waterfowl, will come when they get too large for themselves like DU and become policial. In order for any organization to function, it will someday have to take sides, it sucks, but that's how life is.

I'm not a hateful guy, its just that I see things different because of my location and my background. Everyone has opinions and I'm a person who isn't scared to voice them, even when they aren't popular.
What you are saying about DU is like me saying I would never buy a Ford again because they put out a bad 6.0 engine. I understand that everyone has a different take on things, but always bashing one organization that in one way or another that does support conservation gets old and you really start to look like a dbag in general. One thing you should consider before speaking out against DU is because of the cap they have put on draining land, what is the income that has brought into your state? One final point is do a research on any property you buy to see if it might need to be drained BEFORE you buy it!

· Registered
1,588 Posts
What you are saying about DU is like me saying I would never buy a Ford again because they put out a bad 6.0 engine. I understand that everyone has a different take on things, but always bashing one organization that in one way or another that does support conservation gets old and you really start to look like a dbag in general. One thing you should consider before speaking out against DU is because of the cap they have put on draining land, what is the income that has brought into your state? One final point is do a research on any property you buy to see if it might need to be drained BEFORE you buy it!
Why supporty something that has cost my family thousands of dollars and is against my career? Cap and Trade would have forced small to mid-sized famers (me) out of business. The land we drained has been drain so long that it was grandfathered in so we were 100% in the right to be draining. The land has been in my family since the original purchase of the farmstead in 1907.

How much income does farming bring in to North Dakota, more then DU could bring in. DU has a helluva time buying land here anyways, since we have laws preventing them from being able to buy it, without approval.

Just because I know the bad side of DU, doesn't mean I'm b-dag. Just letting people know that its not as great as everyone thinks. Just beacuse I have a different point of view means I'm the d-bag?

Yes, conservation is a good thing, but to piss off landowners isn't the way to secure more land in the future.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.