Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
North Zone, South Zone, Mississippi Zone ... Where's a Form to talk about issues related to the unique Missouri River Valley area?
1. The area is mostly forgotten/ignored by DNR. Purposely? Eh? Tell me I am wrong.
2. The river is not like the Mississippi or the other major rivers in Iowa; it doesn't freeze over,its fast and straighter and it is more controlled - depth changes seasonally.
3. The Valley is filled with small direct drainage streams that are spring-fed and don't freeze either.
4. Good wetlands harbor 1000s of bluewinged teal in August/September that come out of the Dakotas and SK. Bigger ducks do not come down from the Dakotas till the cornfields are hard covered. A few years ago, over 450,000 Mallards stayed in South Dakota and never came further south. Flights routinely come down the valley in mid-December to mid-January.
5. 750' west - Across the Big Muddy, Nebraska's 35,000 hunters can hunt late into December. Their low plains zone is 2 miles wide in some places. An Iowa Missouri River Valley Zone would average abut 6 miles wide and 150 miles long.
6. Another significant option would be offered to Iowa hunters and others - a place for late season Mallards and Honkers.
7. There are 5 power plants that help keep waterfowl in the area and the water soft.
8. A Zone west of the Interstated 29 would not impinge on anybody hunting in the regular south or north zone; however, it would give them another option for a very late greenhead hunt.
9. IF DNR would get a 14 day Teal only season for that zone specifically, it would add another great opportunity without taking away from the 60 day regular duck season. Can you say: "More opportunity for Kids."
10. It would sort of "blend" Iowa's duck hunting opportunities winth Nebraska and it might/will attract eastern Nebraska hunters. Can we say, "Yes, your welcome!"
There ought to be a Missouri River Valley Forum on this website ASAP!! And there ought to be a Mighty Mo Zone -- that is a NO-Brainer.

I'd take a 60 day duck season with a 7 day split just before Christmas and I'd end the season on the same day the Canada season ends. Cornfiled hunting is as normal in this area as water boat hunting and the equipment is on the market to make it comfortable.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Four of seven posts are copy/pastes about a Missouri River zone forum... haha

You guys will eventually make it so waterfowlers in the state uneffected by a "third zone" will eventually be against it because of all the non-stop bitching done on here and the Refuge and I'm sure other places.

I understand squeaky wheel gets the grease but eventually that wheel will just get removed, right...

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
JW if you like it or not this stuff will get posted. Comments good or bad make it an open subject not something hidden. The more that it is talked about the greater the opportunity is to expose folks to the added benefits of having more than 1 zone.

The simple truth is, it adds days afield and gives guys the opportunity if they choose to go chase ducks when otherwise they could not without going to another state to do it.

I like the comment about an eastern ZONE, lol I am sure it would be nice but in order for it to be any good or of use / benefit you have to get the duck hunters to agree to hunt a week later than they already do from the North to the South end of Iowa along the big miss. What is the chances of that?

Slim to none.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts