1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
IAW Veteran
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
happens more and more every year...it sucks. prolly will be spending a few weekends in Kansas again

·
Banned
8,540 Posts
Slide to the west??? Last year we saw more birds in SW Iowa than I have seen in the past 12 years.

·
RIP - You Will Be Missed
1,361 Posts
AJB said:
Slide to the west??? Last year we saw more birds in SW

Iowa than I have seen in the past 12 years.
See a few of those birds from the rainwaterbasins up here in NW Iowa, most of the migration we see fly right through the heart of Iowa! Those birds in the rainwater basins mostly fly through SD.

I hope we have a better year up here than we did last year!

·
IAW Veteran
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
RIP - You Will Be Missed
1,361 Posts
I got a farm south of Grand Island I could be hunting, I shouldn't complain too much, along way to drive though! I hope we see more birds around home. The snow cover is disappearing fast which will help here in Iowa. I hope to get to Grand Pass in a couple of weeks! I know, Grand Pass is along ways too but have several farms around there to hunt! Cheaper license too!

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
There is not much left on the fields over this way Doug. Fields will be snow free in another day or two. I heard some honkers on some sheetwater when I was working tonight. I haven't seen a honker around here in about a month.

I'd be shocked if Grand Pass doesn't post a 100,000+ bird count by thursday afternoon.

·
Man without a Plan
2,748 Posts
Last year was not a great year because the birds pushed through fast and did not stay in the usual places even in the Dakotas. That was because of the late melt and the bad hatch from 09.
Still there were alot of birds through NW Missouri and SW Iowa close to the normal 2+ million birds that come through.
Should see closer to a normal push this year with the snow line clearing early. Although that could change if another storm comes through that area and blankets it in heavy snow.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.