Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
As shown in the picture detail I found it amazing that these birds can have water droplets frozen to them and stay out in these extreme temps that we were having. We shot multiple birds over the weekend with frozen water droplets on them.

·
Giant Panda
1,166 Posts
As shown in the picture detail I found it amazing that these birds can have water droplets frozen to them and stay out in these extreme temps that we were having. We shot multiple birds over the weekend with frozen water droplets on them.
I was alone hunting a field a few years back (last grand passage day) and had a huge wad of mallards on me. I always scan big groups for odd-ducks or abnormal color phases, and I noticed one drake mallard had something protruding from his back. I thought it was a transmitter so I kept letting the wad square up until I had my odd one front and center where I then harvested him. Turned out to be a 4"x3" chunk of ice, thing had to weight an easy 3-4 ounces. I still can't believe that duck could fly, let alone fly gracefully in that condition. Thing had to have been frozen down for some time or something.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is my 37th year of waterfowling and I have NEVER seen ice form on birds like this. When I first started taking pics of these birds the other day, I though one of them had the plastic wrap that holds a 6 pack together around it's head but it turned out to be ice. Been a crazy year

1 - 7 of 7 Posts