Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first autoloader just over a year ago and I love it. But I'm having a problem with surface rust on the mag tube where the gas piston slides and on the piston itself. I keep it clean but the sliding piston is wearing the finish off the tube. How do I keep the rust away?

I've been using 00 steel wool to remove the rust and use Hoppe's Elite oil and then wipe it off since it's an autoloader (everyone says this keeps the gun cleaner and is less likely to cause cycling problems). Do I simply need to use more oil?

· Registered
1,099 Posts
Obviously make sure the rust is off, and always keep it clean. If any of my weapons get shot, they get cleaned that night. If not, they at least get wiped down with a rag. Just make sure to put on a LIGHT coat of oil. Using a very heavy coat is a magnet for dirt. Storage is very important as well, keep it where moisture is low. A dehumidifier near your gun storage will help take away moisture in the air. No moisture with a little oil will prevent any rust. Huff

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.