Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got one in a trade, and the reed in it is just straight across not daggered or anything. The guy said it was just retuned at the game fair, it sounds pretty good. Just wondering I know there a few other guys on here that have short barrels. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Regardless of what call it happens to be, the 'dog ear' cuts on the 2 corners of the reed produce/add rasp. They can be done many different ways. Zink cut theirs about have the length of the reed real thin. Most others cut just a tad and cut them about about a 45 degree angle. If you have some extra reeds, cut a few to the length you want and then start experimenting with different corner cuts. Call RNT and get some reeds and corks.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya i think i will order reeds and corks, gona need corks through the season anyway. maybe anyone that has one could take a pic of the reed and put it up.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Jobu, my Original has dog eared corners on the reed and sounds pretty raspy. Not sure if the inserts are the same length, but we can maybe try to swap the reeds and see if that works or not, other wise you could use it to trace that corners to cut 'em.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i cut the corners the other nite, made it sound tons better, but still not quite what i want. it takes a heck of a lot of air to make it sound like i want it to. maybe that is how the call is suposed to be.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
If it's taking alot of air, the reed may be just a hair or 2 too long. Try cutting a real thin strip off the reed, try it, and continue cutting tiny strips off the tip until you get it where you want it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The dog ears have NOTHING to do with rasp. It will make the call harder to blow and that is about it.
PM me and I can get you straightened out
Todd

1 - 8 of 8 Posts