Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to try using bacon this year for all types of fish. Looking at the bacon selection at the market is mind boggling. There is thick and thin and flavored and partially cooked. On and on. Which would be the best to start? Chicken liver prices are going up out of sight. Thanks. Howard

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the liver suggestions and offer but I just want to try something new. I've eaten Cedar river catfish since I was about 5 years old. Some 70 years ago. Always above the dam. A lot caught off the Sans Souci bridge. I'll let you know how bacon works. Long time till dove season.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Howard not the let the "Cat out of the Bag" but if your want something new for Kitties................

For a short window aka right now!!! use Mulberries, yep right now dark ripe purple Mulberries, and hold on to your pole because they fight over them.

My Bride and I caught 27 pole and line under a Mulberry tree last weekend. Fricken water would boil when the sinker would make a PLOP sound.

And Fellas..... Got me a Banded Sturgeon last weekend!!! Could hardly see the S.S. fin tag it had grown around it. Said IOWA on one side and 21266 on the other.

Good Luck Howard, save the bacon for breakfast.

Carry on

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks MC. Don't have mulberries but have something similar. Actually, I prefer catfish but only up to about 14-15 inches. I grew up eating bullheads from MN too but don't even know where they disappeared to now.
Surprised no one is interested in those two trolling motors I have advertised. Really good buys because I can't use them.
Off to Norwalk to spray my daughters lawn for weeds and then stop at Bass Pro. Take care.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My father in law raises them for the family and we get A LOT of chicken which leaves a lot of giblets. I'm more
Of a walleye guy and never really thought of saving the stuff for fishing so if anyone in the ankeny area wants chicken giblets let me know.5154600585

·
Registered
142 Posts
Howard not the let the "Cat out of the Bag" but if your want something new for Kitties................

And Fellas..... Got me a Banded Sturgeon last weekend!!! Could hardly see the S.S. fin tag it had grown around it. Said IOWA on one side and 21266 on the other.

Carry on
Just saying, that's pretty awesome! I hope you reported it to see how long ago it was tagged. I've caught a few tagged Smallmouths and netted up a few tagged walleye while electrofishing but I'm really jealous of the sturgeon.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Yes sir, gave the DNR all the details. Got me a banding report comming in the mail.:cheers:
Howard we caught 2 nice ones Sunday, one with worms, one with Mulberries.

Starting to really like those circle hooks, going to try snipping off the treble hook on some stink bait worms and replacing them with a small circle.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Glad someone is having some good luck. I couldn't get out this weekend because of all the family stuff going on. Fathers day, our 46th wedding anniversary and having to dog sit my daughters 3 dogs. Now today we got rainstorms. and a cold front comes thru to screw up tomorrow. I'm going to the farm this afternoon and will look for some "berries". Thanks for the info.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.