Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
King Ding-A-Ling
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, some one here has the plans to make 20lb propane cylinders into wood duck house. Who is it?

I just looked out back at work here and we have prolly 30 cylinders in the scrap metal bin. They are refrigerant cylinders, but should work the same...Right?

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Adair county conservation made a boat load from the refig tanks.
Give Kevin Blazek a jingle tell him I sent you
Kevin is the Adair Conservation director
Dean

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Thanks Al you get the chicken dinner!
One comment that the conservation guys told me was they do get hot from the sun and they felt they lost some due to the heat
Dean

·
Registered
203 Posts
It gave me a chance to make use of my 9th grade drafting skills!

Glen Welp built a large population at Union Slough in Kossuth County using that design. I have heard conserns of heat but never noticed a problem myself. Glen had them all over the NWR with nary a tree around. I did some tests in NC Iowa with max/min thermometers and never reached a critical high. But down in the banana belt of southern Iowa it might be different I would tend to put them in shade.

·
King Ding-A-Ling
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
silly question. but why not just do a 4 inch round hole?

a 4" hole saw would make the holes fast and clean. Cutting out an oblong hole is definitely more difficult

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, some one here has the plans to make 20lb propane cylinders into wood duck house. Who is it?

I just looked out back at work here and we have prolly 30 cylinders in the scrap metal bin. They are refrigerant cylinders, but should work the same...Right?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts