Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what someone could do to a 13 hourse power honda mudd motor to get more power out of it? And second thing I was looking into was pontoon boats. I have heard they take less power to push in the water, and always thought you could make a really nice duck boat from one if you cut it down to about 5 feet wide. I know nothing about either, so any ideas

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Years ago we took a pontoon and dropped the deck between the toons. Kept the deck about 6" off the water. You sat on the toons. I think it was 22' long and to wide to legally take down the road. I actually had to get a wide load permit when we took it to the Missouri river. It would scoot along pretty good. That thing would haul a lot of gear and ton of beer. I really kick my self for selling it. I've been thinking about building another one. I'll have to give my mom a call and see if she has any pics of it.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I have a 13 on my layout boat...They are what they are-a 13HP. Mine pushes my layout boat pretty good and gets through about anything that I want to go through. I think my boat slows it down more than anything. I did have it on my 1436 jon as well, and it pushed that boat really good. The pods really helped it out as well. As for the pontoon, why would you want to cut it down? If you plan on that, you might as well just get a boat that has a 60" floor and save yourself the trouble. I think if a guy made a blind on a pontoon, that could be a really fun rig to hunt from. Plenty of space for all your gear and plenty of guys. You could have a grill to cook on, plenty of heaters, etc...I think the trick on a pontoon would be to build up the blind to where you would have a smaller opening on the top similar to what you would have on a jon boat. Good luck, if you do it be sure to post pics..Good Luck! Huff

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I was thinking about only having it 5 or 6 feet wide for blind reasons. I do not know how to start with building a blind on something 7 feet plus wide like some of the boats are. I did some looking online and I don't know why more guys don't use them, the push easier the have more room. The only negative would be very low water and mudd which I do not run into much

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I think it would be pretty easy, just determine how wide you want your opening at the top and run your steel or aluminum straight up from the floor both in the back and front. Doors on each end and you are set. With the width, that would give you room on each side under the blind for beds if you wanted, storage, etc. I wish I could draw a pic on here and show u what I mean. I think you'd like the idea..

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I will just leave it be, its a good motor but don't know how well it will push a bigger boat like this pontoon boat idea I have. Does well with my 14 ft jon boat

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.