Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about heading out to check the Princeton marsh this weekend. I do most of my hunting around Pool 12 and Green Island, but gas is expensive and I'd like to find more local spots that I can hit, especially with this new teal season that we have this year.

Can anyone give me a quick and dirty lay of the land? I don't need any GPS coordinates or anything like that, I'll do my own scouting. Looking at the DNR Atlas, it appears the northern part of the marsh by the gun range is refuge? Is that correct? Is it closed to hunting during the season?

Thanks for the help :cheers:

·
Registered
675 Posts
its not very big and gets over hunted ALOT.... grab a mud boat and take a ride and check out what you can see shouldn't take ya too long.... In the fall when its full I can drive my boat from the south ramp to the north ramp in about 10 mins....And yes that part is the refuge

·
Registered
657 Posts
I agree with Dirt. I used to have a few good days there when I hunted it 20 years ago. I actually hunt about a half mile from it now. Last year at peak migration, it was holding only 300-500 mallards. Ducks do not tend to stage there...like a lot of places it hunts best with a stiff west-northwest wind.

·
Registered
594 Posts
X3 on the over hunted ! I have had a few good days but a lot of bad days up their. If you take your time you can run a outboard with no problem up their. We mostly hunted the north end of Princeton when we went and like bumper said west north west wind was always good for us.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Like stated before over hunted. The reeds are taking over from low water the past few seasons. Other then the bad news, we did pretty good late last year. Only boat there a few mornings when the ice was an inch thick and busted a good hole and put some ducks in the boat. Its a place i like to hit during the week before work. When only a boat or two are there and everyone lets ducks work. FYI Early season is a mad house. Good luck

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like stated before over hunted. The reeds are taking over from low water the past few seasons. Other then the bad news, we did pretty good late last year. Only boat there a few mornings when the ice was an inch thick and busted a good hole and put some ducks in the boat. Its a place i like to hit during the week before work. When only a boat or two are there and everyone lets ducks work. FYI Early season is a mad house. Good luck
Eek, sounds grim. Well, I'll check it out anyway, I'm hoping that I can sneak out there a few times after work during the week. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone,

I’m new to the area and have never waterfowl hunted the Mississippi River. For the past decade Ive hunted central IA, and prior to that I exclusively hunted Big and Sweets Marsh. I have a young family so I’m looking for a place to hunt close Davenport. I have a 17 ft boat with a 40 hp outboard. I use the boat more for fishing but recently purchased a hunting blind. I’m looking for a good safe place to run my boat and kill a few ducks. I have a young, semi-trained lab I would love to kill a few ducks over.

I’m not necessarily looking for a place to kill limits but a place close to home where I can find my own space with enough ducks to keep the dog interested.

I’ve map scouted the Princeton WMA and was wondering if anyone hunted the channel/backwater to the east of the WMA. I have no clue if the water is deep enough for a boat but It looks like decent water on google maps.

Any insight is much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey everyone,

I’m new to the area and have never waterfowl hunted the Mississippi River. For the past decade Ive hunted central IA, and prior to that I exclusively hunted Big and Sweets Marsh. I have a young family so I’m looking for a place to hunt close Davenport. I have a 17 ft boat with a 40 hp outboard. I use the boat more for fishing but recently purchased a hunting blind. I’m looking for a good safe place to run my boat and kill a few ducks. I have a young, semi-trained lab I would love to kill a few ducks over.

I’m not necessarily looking for a place to kill limits but a place close to home where I can find my own space with enough ducks to keep the dog interested.

I’ve map scouted the Princeton WMA and was wondering if anyone hunted the channel/backwater to the east of the WMA. I have no clue if the water is deep enough for a boat but It looks like decent water on google maps.

Any insight is much appreciated. Thanks.
I live close to where you're talking about. I fished the backwaters in my outboard this summer. At the current water level you have to be very careful. It gets really shallow. There's a channel once you get passed the first island going north but I haven't found one over 2 ft getting up there. I'm not sure how deep the marsh is from the south ramp because I switch to long tail for hunting season so I remove my nav unit but it seems deeper than the backwaters. Last year there wasn't much usable space on the west end and the east end is easily crowded. If you plan to hunt the river side anywhere then best bet is to put in at go fish.

If you want, send me a msg and we can talk. I'd invite you but it'd have to be without the dog as I already have mine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts