Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
we shoot a few in SW iowa every year but shoot quite a few in Arkansas. I think they go through the dakotas and western Iowa and than Angle across Missouri to arkansas, louisania and texas. i know my spelling is bad but i am in a hurry and I dont care LOL!!

·
scabbing consultant
1,330 Posts
pheasants said:
we shoot a few in SW iowa every year but shoot quite a few in Arkansas. I think they go through the dakotas and western Iowa and than Angle across Missouri to arkansas, louisania and texas. i know my spelling is bad but i am in a hurry and I dont care LOL!!
i think ur right. if u wanna kill em go to arkansas when they get down there.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
From what I have heard Kansas is the place to go for big numbers of specs. Last year I killed one in central IA that and that was the first time I had ever seen specs stick around IA at all. I have never hunted the far west side of IA in the fall though. There were a hundred or so that hung around for a week or two with some little canadas. We killed a couple more in MO in late January also. We had sevral flocks work that day but I don't think that it is very common to see them there either.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
hey oscar...a bunch migrate through western illinois in the fall in spring. not too far east of the mississippi. supposedly one of the fields i hunted last january gets a lot of specks in the fall...i will check on things, but if it looks promising, i will let you know. i would like to decoy a few for a change in the fall!

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
Kansas is a good place too. A bunch winter there.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I had 40 or so not decoy tonight up here by spirit lake (suprisingly were NOT sky high migration heighth). Made me cry that I didn't have my speck call with me tonight!

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
The primary migration route is down along the Mo River region. However they are traveling at 10k feet and for the most part dont even Blink. We get a few every year but man do I wish we got more. SW Iowa would be a good place to start as them little buggers like a lot of sheet water.

Like everyone I sure wish we got them in the fall like we get them in the spring. For sure

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Oscar said:
I meant here in Ia you tool bag. Unless an 11 yr old is planning a No Dak trip by himself
Fat chance of finding them in North Dakota. Sure some people get some but its so hit or miss its not even funny. Usually they take off from Canada and don't stop till they are in Kansas.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.