Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Filling a pod with foam does not increase buoyancy. Buoyancy is based on the amount of water you can displace. Filling a pod with foam is only a precaution in the event that you compromise the pod and it takes on water. At that point the foam would float and take space in the pod instead of letting it fill with water.

·
Registered
878 Posts
The guy at the welding shop made the pods with a hatch and he said the guy put in a two part foam. I thought it sound strange since if you weld them solid it shouldn't matter. But what ever floats your boat.....

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Filled with foam , give more buoyancy. ???? Where do you fellas come up with such ideas!!!!
Mine have nothing but air. And ride totally submerged all but the top 1 inch.

Buoyancy has everything to do with Displacement!!!
Basically for a given volume of air you submerge below the water line and displace that water you GAIN lift. Raise it above the water line and you gain Nothing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
all kinds of info. on this use this search option, I for one would never have pods on a boat it makes the front ride to close to the water and i have seen a couple go under from it

Pods done right, work with the hull, improve performance and fuel economy, however if made poorly or installed improperly the yes it can push the boat nose down the worst can happen. Well worth a professional install.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts