Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever done this? I heard welding things to a riveted boat can screw up the rest of the rivets. Plus does anyone have experience with pods in general? Do they actually improved draft on the back of your boat? help with heavier motors?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Have had 2 different boats with them and yes they help. They definitely help disperse the weight of heavier motors. You have to make sure that they are not lower then the bottom of the boat and I personally have had better luck when they were pitched just like 1 or 2 degrees so that you can have all the benefits of them without seeing any performance declines from drag. They work great with long tails or surface drives that have a 48 in shaft. I have never heard of welding on riveted boats causing problems.

·
Registered
630 Posts
all kinds of info. on this use this search option, I for one would never have pods on a boat it makes the front ride to close to the water and i have seen a couple go under from it

·
Registered
253 Posts
all kinds of info. on this use this search option, I for one would never have pods on a boat it makes the front ride to close to the water and i have seen a couple go under from it
I find this very hard to believe. If they are installed right all you are doing is making the boat a foot or so longer. So you have seen a couple go under from this? How many? What were they doing when this happened?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Built mine and welded them on myself. Best thing I have done. I have had no drag problems at all. This is on a 1648 Landau. Search Pods on here and you will find my picture of them and tons more info.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Pods make boat plane out flater, causing bow to plow more. Pods don't nessarily cause a speed loss, having more hull in water while on plane slows boat down a bit. Planning surface is longer, you will notice water coming out from sides of boat to be further forward. When pods are installed. We've cut more off than we installed. Shouldn't hurt anything welding them on rivited boat, if hull doesn't already have a hook in it. If it does have a hook, you'll probably cut them off, performance will really suffer.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I find this very hard to believe. If they are installed right all you are doing is making the boat a foot or so longer. So you have seen a couple go under from this? How many? What were they doing when this happened?
factory installed,
Not really, you have more buoyancy in the back of the boat which raises it up and the boats front end pushes more through the water.Not ride up like it does with out pods, Both incidents took place during duck hunting on a marsh, I don't care if you believe it or not its up to you but I would never use them just my .02

·
Registered
253 Posts
factory installed,
Not really, you have more buoyancy in the back of the boat which raises it up and the boats front end pushes more through the water.Not ride up like it does with out pods, Both incidents took place during duck hunting on a marsh, I don't care if you believe it or not its up to you but I would never use them just my .02
So what were they doing when this happened? Just taking off?

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
If you dump the throttle fast enuf most boats will nose dive from plane. Having pods will increase that "feeling". My boat has pods and a skinny bow(homemade plate boat) and when I let off the throttle it dives pretty good but doesn't go under. Most of that issue was lack of some boat building knowledge with the pods being flat and no rake, same line as the hull and the skinny bow.

Only time I heard of a boat going down was when they shut it down from WOT with a fat ass sitting on the bow and a 100# Chessie sitting behind him and the captain weighed 150# with water in his waders

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
If you dump the throttle fast enuf most boats will nose dive from plane. Having pods will increase that "feeling". My boat has pods and a skinny bow(homemade plate boat) and when I let off the throttle it dives pretty good but doesn't go under. Most of that issue was lack of some boat building knowledge with the pods being flat and no rake, same line as the hull and the skinny bow.

Only time I heard of a boat going down was when they shut it down from WOT with a fat ass sitting on the bow and a 100# Chessie sitting behind him and the captain weighed 150# with water in his waders
I agree, if it happens that is when it occurs. However, if properly loaded (not overloaded) it shouldn't ever happen in that situation.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
I agree, if it happens that is when it occurs. However, if properly loaded (not overloaded) it shouldn't ever happen in that situation.
Load distribution is a good thing! They lost 3 $1000 shotguns that day from what I was told. I don't believe the boat was overloaded just not loaded well and people not evening out the load

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
Did they have an outboard or a mudmotor?
Outboard. This happened a few years before the mud motor was around here.

If you are thinking its different between them I'm not sure...mine actually seems to dive less with the mud motor than it did with the outboard. About the same top speed also because I dealt with drag with the outboard and straight line pods. Hard to say as I don' t have a fixed blind on it now like I did before so there is less weight

·
Registered
878 Posts
Ive heard of a guy putting pods on his boat then filling them with a closed cell foam to give it an additional lift. What are you guys thoughts to that.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Anyone here needing some aluminum welding done, get a hold of me, were in the process of getting our Mig Spoolgun up and running. My son is Certified and does nice work. Bring your own Aluminum. Primarily looking at hull repair and frame building, until we get our Plasma cutter. Thanks for the inquiries.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
Most of them I've seen have a drain plug on them so you could conceivably fill it thru there

1 - 20 of 26 Posts