Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever had a pet squirrel?

The neighbors went for a walk last week and a little squirrel followed them a block, when they reached a busy street they picked it up so it would not get run over. They brought it home, and all the neighborhood kids played with it for an hour or two. The couple next door took it in since it was cold and put it in a small pet kennel.

Now this evening it was under the swing set. It was left outside with the kennel open, with food and water in it. The kids all played with it until dark, now the other neighbor put it in a cage in the garage for the night.

It sure is friendly, it runs across the yard and climbs on your foot. Seems to like being held, and eats peanuts from your hand. It licks but has not bite anyone (yet).

I hope it survives until it is old enough to fend for its self. It would be cool if it comes around and stays friendly when it is full grown.

·
Huntress
6,003 Posts
My brothers used to have some at their house that they had tamed -- let them come in when the back door was open and the whole shabang. Then they got sick of them and the little guys wouldn't leave them alone... had to keep the back door shut or the furry friends would scurry inside. Personally, I wouldn't mess with 'em, I'd rather not pick up fleas if I don't have to. :D

·
Man without a Plan
2,748 Posts
Had a great uncle that had them for pets. Said as they got older they tore up his place. They did so much damage and he could not get rid of them, he ended up putting them down when his wife was not around.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
squirrel no. best pet ever had was a woodchuck ,kept him most the summer. he went back under barn, but could call him out every night for a carrot.when in the house would steal the paper & make a nest behind couch also used a litter box.damn i wish i had him back.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I had one through the winter once, in a cage as he was full grown when I caught him. He was pretty cool, loved fried chicken! Let him loose the next spring.

Just as a disclaimer, just in case you didn't know, you aren't allowed to keep wild animals.

I'm pretty sure the statute of limitations has run out on all the critters I kept for short durations once upon a time. :cool:

That woodchuck looks like a fun pet!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.