Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i looked into getting some but they are like $40 a piece and i live right on the corner of 4 counties and would like to get all of them but thats kinda steep. Reason i ask is there is a small patch of farm ground with a creek running on the edge, and this creek runs out some wetlands and ducks constantly follow this creek in and out and i would like to get permission for this field just havent figured out who oens it yet

·
Banned
818 Posts
zman said:
yeah i looked into getting some but they are like $40 a piece and i live right on the corner of 4 counties and would like to get all of them but thats kinda steep. Reason i ask is there is a small patch of farm ground with a creek running on the edge, and this creek runs out some wetlands and ducks constantly follow this creek in and out and i would like to get permission for this field just havent figured out who oens it yet
Do you know anyone that works at a Farmers CO-OP? Not sure if the local Library would have one or not. I just copy all of ours at work.

·
Banned
8,540 Posts
I own about 6 different plot books. Most of them cost 15 or 16 bucks the most expensive one was 20 for me.

·
Registered
103 Posts
You can also go to your local co-op and, see if you can look at theirs. They all have them. They may even give you last years if you ask. I get my wife to get mine from them in countries next to mine, beings she works at the local elevator.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Plat Maps

If you have good relations with any of your farmer friends, hit them up for their old copy. They receive a new one each year, free of charge, and I'm sure they could part with their old ones. We hunt 3 different counties and have never had a problem picking them up. Some guys will give us their new one.

Land is changing hands faster than it used to but even if your plat is only 1 year old, you're not gonna get much out-dated info. Chatting up the farmers are a valuable tool. They seem to be the 1st to know when some nearby ground changes hands. Get a name from them and be 1st to hit the newbee up with a welcome and get your foot in the door.

Orrrrrrr.....even easier.....Have a guy in your group be the manager of a local tire store that has changed a tractor or combine tire for 80% of the farmers in a 3 county area. You know what a farmer will do for a guy if he breaks down in the middle of "Picking Season" and you get him back in action in a timely fashion??? Of course....hot fields carry more of a priority over farmers without much duck and goose action.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Like others stated, local rural residents usually get a new plat book every year which makes it nice for people who live in the country or know farmers well enough to ask them for theirs.

I hunt about two counties and have maps for both and never throw away my old ones since I make notes in them with phone #'s and farmers. With some of the "corporate" farming that goes on in Iowa, the person that actually farms the land is sometimes hard to find out so if I find them, I'll write their information down in the plat map so I dont forget.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.