Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a lot of birds today but what was here was working birds. I finished at 9:30. With 4 Mallards 1 Drake Woodduck & 1 Shoverler. I needed a Drake Mallard to finish today so I had the pleasure to work a couple different Hen Mallards. I need more practice on the call. I was hunting the Mississippi River today & tomorrow I will try a different spot. One of my goals is to try and hunt a place every day on the big muddy. With 240,000 acres I don't think I will run out of places to try. Good Hunting.

· Somateria spectabilis
14,103 Posts
There were a few of those green headed ducks around. Unfortunately their brown girlfriends were cutting off the good shots on them.

Reactions: kboock

· Registered
1,678 Posts
Saw decent amount of ducks this morning in central Iowa but mainly teal and smart mallards. They all been around hunters for quite a time now and stay away from the blinds. Didn't get the exact spot I wanted but you have to make due. Pull in a drake mallard and put him in the blind with a load of #6's I use for teal. Smoked him at a little over 40 yards. Others were sky busting and educating them more. Teal didn't like our spot but were flying by. Flock of about 20 came a little close and I took 3 with one shot. Total for the morning 4 ducks with 2 shots. Ain't too bad. Going to give it a rest until the gadwalls and widgeon get here in about a week. Guys I know that go regularly to Canada were amazed at the numbers up there this year. We got good flights to come.

· Somateria spectabilis
14,103 Posts
I was fortunate to have a hen mallard 50 yards from me in the weeds doing all the calling for me. It was great to listen to and very effective.

Reactions: stumaas and feathhd

· Registered
285 Posts
Nothing but a few teal and most of them flying like the devil was right behind them. A boat wandered back and forth and finally set up 100 yards away, 50 minutes before shooting time, but at least they were perpendicular to the wind. They fired off a box, not sure if they hit anything. Their dog bounded across the pond whether anything fell or not. I knocked down 6 teal but found only three...Birds were few and I had to try some difficult shots. Never saw a mallard. I was at the Hawk and rifle fire from the gun range, handily built on the NW side, was nerve-racking. They started before sunrise on opening day of duck season. Sounded like the Battle of the Zombies. Just what a wildlife refuge needs.

· Man without a Plan
2,748 Posts
My small pothole was full of teal, few mix of other ducks. The teal were dive bombing into the decoys. I waited to see if the mallards would work over to the hole and it paid off. The teal did scatter after the first shot and never came back to the pothole while I was there but it was still a good day.
Dog had 3 solid retrieves and on the way out kicked out a couple of pheasants. Was with the muscle strain.

· Somateria spectabilis
14,103 Posts

· IAW Coot Motivator
7,524 Posts
Limit of woodies in 15 mins. Yesterday a few today we were swamped with them

Reactions: 1100 Remington Man

· Registered
874 Posts
You went all around the state yesterday or what ?
My sarcasm must not have been thick enough...I was just repeating what the two folks from the northeast and southeast part of this state told me when I gave my post of bird numbers around central/south central iowa that I encountered not only scouting but now having hunted over the weekend. There was "plenty" of birds around in east, west and northern iowa just had to "put on the miles and not look in the traditional areas". Could've fooled me though after seeing most these reports and many others from around the state certainly doesn't appear to be "plenty" of birds to be had.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.