Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys just moved to the Storm Lake Area. I've been scouting a lot recently. Things look promising. Question: Can u hunt actual Storm Lake? Say the islands, shorelines or open water(boat blind) I've paged thru the regs and they are vague. PM if u like. I appreciate the help.

·
Smelly Pirate Hooker
2,713 Posts
When I was at BV we would hunt Little Storm Lake quite a bit, mainly because it was close. There are quite a few public areas within a short drive from Storm Lake. Great thing about that part of the state was we rarely had any competition from other hunters. Even on the weekends.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
It's been probably 15 years since I hunted there and I was hunting with a local, so taking his word for everything, but at the time you could not set foot on any of the islands as they were deemed refuges (at the time). You were fine in the water, but once you stepped foot on dry ground you were in violation.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Yes you can hunt it, islands are the spots. Like it was said be prepared on windy days. Kevin is also right about the pot holes to the north but because of Storm lakes size it will stay open after the pot holes have froze up. Then that's the spot! Also if you like the geese, the waste ponds for the packing plants hold a good number, so there is also plenty of good field hunts once the water is froze up. Not sure where you moved from, but up here we are pretty much off water by the 15th of November. Good luck! Feel free to pm if you so choose.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I use to fish Storm Lake 20 years ago and I wondered if you could hunt the islands as well they were not marked then. I called the local Game Warden and told him I was thinking about hunting them and if it was legal. He was surprised by my asking but said yes. I'm did not get over there to hunt that fall.
The next year fishing I noticed they put up no hunting Refuge signs the yellow ones. So I'm sorry for that I asked him.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.