Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
IAW Veteran
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CDC Study Shows No Health Risk Associated with Traditional Ammunition

A Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) study on human lead levels of hunters in North Dakota has confirmed what hunters throughout the world have known for hundreds of years, that consuming game harvested with traditional ammunition poses absolutely no health risk to people, including children, and that the call to ban lead ammunition was and remains a scare tactic being pushed by anti-hunting groups to forward their political agenda.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
not caring either way...but i always thought nontox was pushed for waterfowl because of leads effect on fish and other game, not humans? could be wrong, like i said makes no difference to me. as far as in the field, i'm not sure what the thought is there...personally, i think it would be nice to be able to field hunt with lead shot...although i have no idea if it would affect crops...i know i would shoot a SIGNIFICANT amount of lead in the same field for snow geese every year, but for canadas you should only need 2 shells right :wink:

·
IAW Veteran
1,358 Posts
I grew up hunting with lead shot, the reason for the change was due to the amount of lead poisonig to waterfowl during low water periods.As far as field hunting gose it has little or no effect on farmland.
Several oxbows and public hunting areas were tested when the rivers went down, duck, mainly puddle ducks, were found,and the cause of death was leadpoisoning.they picked it up while chisling in the mud, the lead wont pass thru a ducks system as non toxic shot will.the lead stayed in the gizzard and desolved creating a toxic effect. I have taken many birds apart and i do check these things from time to time.

lee
footnote...
it is also a known fact that range and kill decreased when toxic shot came out..guns had to be modified to handle the new line of shot.I killed a good many ducks and geese with 4's and 6's(lead) at 45 and 50 yards. the older guns have a fixed choke, and are a tapered barrel as the newer barrels are straight and the choke is added , i retired my model 12 and my heavey browning,you had to be careful because the wads are not the same and would stick in the barrels.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts