• C

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys this is a paper I wrote for an english 150 class this week. It is about water-fowling so i thought somebody might enjoy it. Not my best work but i should get a decent score on it. There is some bit of doctoring up to it (i had to keep it interesting) but the basis is factual and my memory wasn't that great so i had to fill in the holes. so without further rambling here you go...

Quack, Bang, Splash: Life Lessons Learned in the Duck Blind

The soft quacks of a mallard filled the air as I sat in the well hidden duck blind in northern Missouri. The crisp air bit the exposed flesh on my face. Excitement ran through my veins despite the chill. The duck blind is a special place, many things are experienced, and many lessons are learned and passed down, while hiding from the prying eyes of waterfowl. A hen mallard almost landing on your hunting partner’s face, or a flock of teal screaming by your head only to splash down yards from the blind never knowing you’re there. It’s hard to step foot in a duck blind and not learn something.
On the first night of hunting the duck lease I tried to retrieve a dead duck from the water’s edge and learned a little bit about common sense. If the water is thirteen inches deep with a soft muddy bottom and your boots are twelve inches tall, there is at least one inch above the boots. I learned my lesson as follows. The first duck of the night hit that water with a splash. its plump breasts skyward and its feet kicking the air. My dad’s well aimed shot had dropped a fully plumed lone drake from the sky. The duck lay just close enough to shore that it appeared I would be able to reach it from the safety of the flooded cornfields edge. As I approached the downed bird I realized that it lay just out of reach. I began to slowly inch my way farther and farther and inch by inch towards the downed bird, floating lifeless in the water. The water climbed ever higher up my water proof boots. The bird was just out of my reach and the water level to the top of my boots. Just one more inch… and yes I grabbed the bird! Unfortunately, the water level had also reached the top of my boots and had poured in soaking my feet with northern air cooled water. My bittersweet success: I had the duck but also had water filled boots. Common sense told me that the water would be deeper each step, but, in my young innocence, I ignored it.
Self control is another lesson that can be learned in the duck blind. At a young age you are instructed to exercise self control. The truth is that you are ever through hearing “exercise self control” until you are the one saying it. I learned a lot about self control straight from the ducks. It was an early morning in the duck blind my dad and I sat in wait until legal shooting time clicked over on the watch. Ducks buzzed by the blind in flocks, just black dots screaming by, almost indistinguishable against the dark sky. As the hand of the clock finally struck shooting time, the first legal flock of ducks came in. They locked they're wings on final descent into the decoys that shifted on a slight breeze. My dad and I began to slowly rise in preparation for the shot. He flipped the blind lid open, and we began to fire. My mind screamed to shoot as fast as I could and I let all three shots fly into the oncoming flock. Then I watched as the entire flock flew away unscathed. As I watched the ducks wing away into the distance I realized where I had failed in self-control. The birds on the descent appeared to fly as one being but, in reality, they were still individual targets. The speed at which the shots were fired was not as important as picking an individual target and locking on taking the shot and following through. Failure to do just one of these steps and it will result in a miss. The miss is caused by the lack of self-control.
While common sense was started before the duck blind with, “hot things are hot,” and “round things roll,” the reinforcement received in the duck blind still sticks with me.
The lessons of that hunt and the hunts that followed will stay with me for the rest of my life. Many, if not all, of these lessons can be expanded to everyday life. Self control is spoken about everywhere from the football field to the class room. For me, learning self control started with the ducks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.