Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where you can find info. about running a dog in local field trials for junior hunt titles and such???
Quad cities area or somewhere in eastern Ia...

·
Banned
7,439 Posts
my best guess would maybe to check the Iowa DNR website and go under events.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dogs

I did find a site for the Iowa gun dog club but it appears to be all pointers and upland dogs from what I saw. I'll keep lookin round

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I used to belong to the Mid Iowa Retriever Club and I know there was a club in eastern Ia as well. I am not sure where the club was based but we ran trials in Cedar Rapids once a month during trail season. You might look up the Mid Iowa club on line and get one of the board members phone number and call and ask them about getting involved in something in eastern Ia.

I will check with a buddy or 2 who are still running trials and see if they know

·
Registered
15 Posts
iowaterfowler, A little education on Field Trials and Hunt Tests theirs a HUGH difference, I run them both. Hunt tests are a standard put forth by either AKC or UKC it involves the judges setting up a test and it is pass or fail between you and your dog. AKC Field Trials are competitve, here you compete against other dogs and handlers for 4 placements 1ST, 2ND, 3RD, and 4TH. Example, your running in Derby level with 65 others only the top 4 dogs win and get points in that division, the rest go home empty handed. AKC HUNT Tests have 3 levels Junior Hunter (JH), Senior Hunter(SH), and Master Hunter (MH). United Kennel Club (UKC) also know as Hunting Retriever Club (HRC) has 3 levels Started Hunter Retriever (SHR), Seasoned Hunter Retriever (HR), and Finished or Hunter Retriever Champion (HRCH). Here is some web sites www.entryexpress.net and www.huntingretrieverclub.org Good Luck!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks

Thanks TY 4 I appreciate it. I'm not new to dogs but don't have a clue about any of the tests or titles accept what little I've seen on TV I don't currently have a dog I'd run in a trial or test but am very intrested in learning about them and hopefully going to watch a few first hand. I've got a 9 mo. old choc. male I've been training for hunting and nothing more for now. I also have a 7 yr. old yellow female that is a very seasoned hunter. I just want to now the options for the future. Good luck this season and thanks again for the schooling :wink: I'm happy with any info I can get...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here is some info about the UKC-HRC International Grand that will be held in Davenport. Dates: OCT 4th - 8th. It is about the closest it will ever be and would be a great experience for you. Let me know if you want more info?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts