Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been fooling around with worn out mudmotor props, and have been able to salvage a couple. We weld up worn edges with s/s rod and then using small disc grinders reshape and cup blades. We have done two from Mudbuddy motors with good results. Balancing is hardest, getting both blades equal in shape and thickness. I have been running one since this spring and haven't had any problems. With a little patience and slow going on grinders you can come up with a serviceable prop. Surface drives run with half the prop out of water so cupping is important.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Prop Rebuilds

SNOTS said:
What kind of life you getting out of the reworked props? Equal to a stocker?
Seems to be the same, have made one trip up and back to Suttlif from Salisbarry landing, about 88 miles of sandy Cedar river with rebuilt prop. You can still see grinder marks on blade tips. Half of trip was in some pretty shallow water. I have 25 hrs on it now and it is starting to polish grinder marks.
 

· King Ding-A-Ling
Joined
·
2,249 Posts
I would be interested in hearing more updates as you put some more wear on it. I got about a dozen in the shop if you want to "practice" :wink:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Prop Rebuilds

SNOTS said:
I would be interested in hearing more updates as you put some more wear on it. I got about a dozen in the shop if you want to "practice" :wink:
You have a few more than we have. we culled ours down to the ones with less than an inch gone on the diameter. Easier to get blade shape back and less metal to grind to get cup shaped, takes about an hour per blade to get shape and cup and another hour of tedious grinding to get balance close. Considering the price of some of these props and how much abuse they take we had to try something. If you get bored for lack of a project try rebuilding one, its a challenge. Wiil keep you posted.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Prop rebuillding

SNOTS said:
What do you use to ballence them? Bubble level lawnmower blade balancer?
Thats what we use, gets them pretty close. We must be close because we don't seem to have any excessive vibration in drive line when running out of water. I'm sure it would show up.
 

· King Ding-A-Ling
Joined
·
2,249 Posts
You can get pretty dam close to with a blade balancer. I use to use one when someone would come to me with an nicked prop.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: props

boathunter said:
Denny where you at in muscatine I have 2 off a mudbuddy I'd like to get redone. i live in west liberty.
My home is at 208 Bridgeman st. West Hill side of Muscatine. I can show you how to do it and what to use, but I don't want to do other peoples props it is time consuming, and would be better if you did the work your self. Any weld shop could fix you up with the welding, thats the easy part. Blade balancer can be purchased at any lawn equipment shop.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mudmotor prop rebuilds

NWIOWA_DUCKHUNTER said:
V & H Marine, Rock Valley, IA
How are you doing on prop rebuilds? We are still running the two we rebuilt. The grinder marks are still showing, just polished up abit. Diameter still the same have about 35hrs on one and 15 on the other. Put boat blind on last week , will be able to see what performance gains or losses the prop has with load.
 

· RIP - You Will Be Missed
Joined
·
1,361 Posts
Re: Mudmotor prop rebuilds

Denny said:
NWIOWA_DUCKHUNTER said:
V & H Marine, Rock Valley, IA
How are you doing on prop rebuilds? We are still running the two we rebuilt. The grinder marks are still showing, just polished up abit. Diameter still the same have about 35hrs on one and 15 on the other. Put boat blind on last week , will be able to see what performance gains or losses the prop has with load.
I dont have V & H Marine, its a business here in town that does alot of prop building and rebuilding. They stay pretty busy!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Mudmotor prop rebuilds

NWIOWA_DUCKHUNTER said:
Denny said:
NWIOWA_DUCKHUNTER said:
V & H Marine, Rock Valley, IA
How are you doing on prop rebuilds? We are still running the two we rebuilt. The grinder marks are still showing, just polished up abit. Diameter still the same have about 35hrs on one and 15 on the other. Put boat blind on last week , will be able to see what performance gains or losses the prop has with load.
I dont have V & H Marine, its a business here in town that does alot of prop building and rebuilding. They stay pretty busy!
The prop shops in our area won't try to rebuild mudmotor props, they say they can't get the blade shaping blocks they need to form up blades and hammering in pitch is tough because of blade thickness. Also time it takes to shape and balance blades by hand grinding is cost prohibitive.????
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top