Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone swapped a Honda6.5 hp motor on a scavenger Longtail with a predator motor? My Honda motor has had water in the cylinder and i think isn’t gonna run good again. Last year the exhaust was glowing red hot. Something tells me that’s bad! I don’t have the $ for a new Honda motor but might be able to afford a predator. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
433 Posts
Glowing exhaust doesn’t mean it’s bad, it’s actually normal on those motors. You won’t see it during the day, but in the dark you will. I have had multiple mud motors from 6.5 to 50 hp and they all had glowing red exhaust.

Unless the motor is acting up, I would run it until it blows. Hopefully you at least changed the oil after it got water in it.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
If you decide to swap out motors, there are a few measurements you need to check. One is output shaft height from base to center of shaft. Out put shaft diameter, and length. Motor hole spacing to frame where it mounts to base and any bracing on prop shaft supports. I think Honda and Predator motors are pretty close on motor block dimensions for the same size and HP of motors. We have swapped out motors on a GO Devil longtail frame from a 9.5 Hp to an 18 Hp Briggs V twin with a few frame modifications, and a larger Dia. and pitch prop, and a modified universal joint to match motors larger output shaft dia.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. Yes I’ll try to get it up and running again. I just wanted to ask before I found out it’s SOL and Need another.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts