Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the chance to hunt with my brother for the first time in over a year last week and we had high expectations of hammering on some mallards. Up to and even after legal shooting time we had non-stop mallard dumping into our small hole while we laid in the Fatboys waiting for enough light to dedipher drakes from hens.

When we could finally tell, I sat up and dropped the first greenhead that gave me an opprotunity - it took me 3 shots (all inside 10 yrds), but i finally put him down. We were ready for a slaughter...for it to rain green. And it did...only little green. Out of all the birds we shot, only 1 WASN'T a mounter....

·
Banned
7,439 Posts
That is a good hunt for sure.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Fatboys

So you really like those Fatboys Gude? I was going to pull the trigger on one this summer but kept my 15 john. I was really looking at the FA Brand Marsh Gunner. Even went down to KC to Rogers Sporting Goods to look at the Marsh Gunner.
Jon

·
IAW Veteran
3,589 Posts
Good

Good Job Gude, great colors on those ducks.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I liked the Fatboys a lot. My brother purchased two of them over the summer and this past week was really the first chance I had to hunt out of them.

I was very suprised at how light they were, how easy they were to push pole and how well they moved with even a 3 hp. They were actually more stable than I thought they would be - I shot a passing mallard while standing up in the boat. It was a reaction shot, something I normally wouldn't try - especially in a layout boat. But after pulling the trigger and watching it drop, I realized what I'd just done and the boat didn't shift much at all - even when the dog jumped off.

Very comfortable and the doors were nice also. I wish Ira had added quite a few more stubble straps on them, but over all I'd say it was the most functional layout I've hunted out of.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts