Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Banned
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Minnesota Hen House Project Update by Matt Chouinard (Posted July 8, 2008)

Though things sound less promising in North Dakota and the Canadian prairies, the remaining wetlands in Minnesota seem to be in pretty good shape. According to the 2008 Waterfowl Breeding Population Survey, conducted in mid-May, wetland and mallard numbers in Minnesota were 32% and 34%, respectively, above their long term averages. This is good news for Minnesota duck hunters, and hopefully wetland conditions will remain good through the fall waterfowl hunting season.

Additional good news can be found with our cooperative project with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR). Though not surprising based on the waterfowl survey, roadside pair counts I conducted during May found good numbers (6 to 19 pairs per square mile) of mallards. I conducted the counts in the Working Lands Initiative Target Areas in Big Stone, Grant, and Stevens Counties, areas where we are also installing new Hen Houses. This bodes well for the 210 new Hen Houses I installed last winter, as well as the other 300 plus DNR Hen Houses I am monitoring and evaluating.

Initial results are positive as nearly 30% of the new Hen Houses have been used by mallards and wood ducks, and use should continue to increase next year as successful hens and their offspring return to nest in them. With nest success over 90% so far, Hen Houses continue to be a safe place for ducks to nest.

As the nesting season progresses, I will continue to monitor the Minnesota Hen Houses while looking at locations for new ones. This winter will be busy as I hope to install 350-400 new Hen Houses to help ducks in Minnesota!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bob Carmichael receives Wildlife Management Institute Award (Posted March 27, 2008)

Bob Carmichael was presented with the Wildlife Management Institute's (WMI) President's Award at the 73rd Annual North American Wildlife & Natural Resources Conference in Phoenix, Arizona on March 26th.

Bob was presented with this award based on his long-standing efforts and tenacity on controversial and extremely challenging and important files on behalf of hunters and trappers across North America and the globe. Bob worked for the provincial government of Manitoba spanning several decades and retired two years ago as Chief of the Wildlife Branch. Delta is extremely fortunate to have Bob working with us in a consultant role as our Senior Policy Advisor.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.