Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One main question I have is do a lot of people really go out at midnight!? I am not used to such a thing and a co worker said to be prepared. I am in no way afraid to do such a thing and rest in the boat if needed.
Do places get crowded on the second season opener?

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
just to give an idea of what it's like in Iowa; at least in central Iowa. For the first opener at a central Iowa marsh. the first rig showed up at 5:00 on Friday afternoon. By midnight, there were 8 rigs ready to go at the ramp. By 6 a.m. there were 21 rigs on a 500 Acre marsh. There is a shortage of public places to hunt in Iowa. Yes the marshes get crowded. Yes, people go out at midnight. during season; on a weekday; it is typical to plan on arriving at 4:00 or 4:30. at 5:00/5:30 there will always be one or two more roll in. Weekends during the season; it is not a shocker to have someone go out at midnight or 2:00 a.m.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
A dozen years or so ago we went one Friday afternoon before the early goose opener and planned to fish the evening before and sleep in the boat that night for the next day. We had a collapsible blind that allowed us plenty of room to fish and our decoys were in the suburban. We picked out a marsh / lake (in the Okoboji area) and made the drive up there. The ramp was "blocked" by another hunters rig waiting to launch at midnight to secure his spot. He wouldn't move for us to go fishing even after we showed him our fishing poles and said we wouldn't set up any where near him if he told us where he was headed. No go, he wouldn't move. We tried another near by marsh / lake and it was the same thing, just a bunch of stubborn jackasses. Unfortunately some guys take the opener and saving spots a bit too seriously.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whoa! Well I am willing to get there to get a spot where I shot woodies during early season. I have a small boat...I should be able to get in there. Midnight is the start time correct? Either way I'm not going to be the after shooting light guy!!!
Thanks for all the input and LOVE the conservation this state offers!

·
Registered
779 Posts
I am not sure on all the marshes, but the few I hunt, usually the 2nd opener isnt as crazy as the 1st. When I was younger and they had the early season we would do it, but havent since they've had the teal season.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
You guys need to start hunting river's and do some more scouting.
Last year I hunted a different place on the Mississippi River just for kicks. No shortage of good places. Iowa has a lot of meandering streams & rivers that are open for hunting to the normal high water line in spring.
I have also noticed once Pheasant season opens the number of duck hunter is cut in half.
I have also launched my boat in a road ditch to get into a public hunting area with no boat ramp.
Yes Iowa needs more public hunting area's but I would guess Iowa sold more duck stamps license's in the 1970's than today.
Get out and discover some new spots, yes you might half to drive a lttle further but it will pay dividends. Have a Great Season and Good Hunting.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yeah what everyone else is saying is true, especially on opening day and their are guys who will set up close to you even if you have been holding that spot since midnight. I remember once last year I had a guy try setting up around 30 to 40 yards from me even though I was spotlighting him the whole time he still threw out his decoys.

·
Somateria spectabilis
14,103 Posts
Get out at midnight so that some schmuck in his little 14' flat bottom can come in 20 minutes before shooting time and set up 75 yards from you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Get out at midnight so that some schmuck in his little 14' flat bottom can come in 20 minutes before shooting time and set up 75 yards from you.
And I will do ALL I can to not be that schmuck...I will leave first and hunt somewhere else. I have too much respect for people. So far I have only met decent people...one gentleman boated up and asked our headed direction as to not interfere!! Hopefully this continues...

·
Somateria spectabilis
14,103 Posts
I have shot many limits out of a "little" 14' flat bottom boat.
I was placing more emphasis about the time said Schmuck shows up and the distance they set up from me than the length of his or her boat

·
Registered
455 Posts
The ramp was "blocked" by another hunters rig waiting to launch at midnight to secure his spot.
People really have trouble comprehending the below statement and it really pisses me off

"Portable blinds which are built on, or are part of, a boat shall be considered as removed from an area when the boat and blind are tied up or moored at an approved access site"

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.