Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's definetly promising. Hope it warms a little faster than they say. From what I've heard from sources and reports I've read. They are pushing out of Ark and coming out of Il headed up the Big Mo. Won't be long!!

·
Banned
8,540 Posts
I still think they will be here when they normally are. No plans have changed for me as of yet. Still the 2nd weekend of March heading to SW Iowa.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone that wants to keep up on where and when the birds are migrating, go to huntingsnows.com. You can get a good idea of where they are at and where they are being seen.
They are definetly pushing north through Mo.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Just checking out accuweather has well and show this post.

Tomorrow Mound will get around 5" of snow but at the end of the 15 day, temps are hitting mid 40's to mid 50's. That will get things pushing and melting.

I'll be waiting for them 8)

·
Registered
2,485 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Matt said:
orange legs said:
I forgot to post the weather forecast earlier. HEre it is now and I think they have even changed for the better.

http://www.accuweather.com/us/mo/mo...t.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=1&metric=0
Nothing real promising about that forecast! Just another reason to stay awar from Mound City. The geese will be pushing the snowline hard this week.
How do you figure not so promising?? It will be warming up that whole week. They are already pushing up the Mo from St Louis. Birds will be at Squaw that first week of Mar.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
orange legs said:
Matt said:
orange legs said:
I forgot to post the weather forecast earlier. HEre it is now and I think they have even changed for the better.

http://www.accuweather.com/us/mo/mo...t.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=1&metric=0
Nothing real promising about that forecast! Just another reason to stay awar from Mound City. The geese will be pushing the snowline hard this week.
How do you figure not so promising?? It will be warming up that whole week. They are already pushing up the Mo from St Louis. Birds will be at Squaw that first week of Mar.
I guess I was just looking at the 5 day forecast. Yeah some geese will start showing up but as far as I'm concerned I'd rather travel a little farther and get south of that heavy snow for next week.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
CamoHunter870 said:
Tomorrow Mound will get around 5" of snow but at the end of the 15 day, temps are hitting mid 40's to mid 50's.
You guys know that the "15 day" is simply a "forecast" based off of historical averages right? There isn't a forecast model out there that is accurate past about 4 days - let alone 15. If a weather man were delivering the 15 day, he'd say, "usually it's about 50 this time of year - so it's gonna be 50".

Alls I'm sayin - Don't plan your vacation around it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Drove across the whole state of missouri yesterday coming back from Arkansas for baseball. There were snows around our hotel in Arkansas every night, as for the snow line, its about 30 miles south of kansas city. In maryville we have 8" of fresh snow...so we are going to need some melting to make it worth while around here anytime soon. Saw birds around the Joplin area and a little north, but not much.

·
Banned
8,540 Posts
2nd week of march there will be snows in SW Iowa. They have been ever since the spring snow season has started. We have had a couple springs like this one as well. Just be patient it will all fall into place.

·
Man without a Plan
2,748 Posts
Not 100% sure we will have alot the by the second weekend this year but we should have migrators start showing up about then. The main push will hit about the third week in March this year and we will be neck deep in them.
If this is like any year where the snow is deep and mettling the geese will just hang out in a field until a pond opens up.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Gude said:
CamoHunter870 said:
Tomorrow Mound will get around 5" of snow but at the end of the 15 day, temps are hitting mid 40's to mid 50's.
You guys know that the "15 day" is simply a "forecast" based off of historical averages right? There isn't a forecast model out there that is accurate past about 4 days - let alone 15. If a weather man were delivering the 15 day, he'd say, "usually it's about 50 this time of year - so it's gonna be 50".

Alls I'm sayin - Don't plan your vacation around it.
U are missing out Gude not plann your vacation around the 15 day :lol: It's more accurate then tomorrow's forecast.

In all seriousness, that is true, I've never seen a 15 day forecast come true but it's fun to look at and dream and get moving on getting the gear ready.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
You fellas are just antsy and wishfully thinking. You're nuts if you think the migration is going to be about the same as it is dates-wise as a typical year. Most typical years, my dad's group in SE Iowa already has the spread up by now and are starting to see the first waves of adults....maybe even scratching a few of the PHD birds out. They haven't stuck a single decoy in the ground yet and aren't going to be able for AT LEAST another week. They just got 6 or 8 inches of snow yesterday, I was down there. Lots of canadas, not a damn snow to be found.

It seems like when it stays colder and snow accumulates later in the year, everyone (including myself sometimes) thinks that "As soon as this snow melts, they're gonna be here in waves upon waves!!!". The snow geese aren't sitting in AR, LA, and TX thumbing through their calendars saying "We better get going Lloyd, it's almost March." When the snow melts, the ground softens up and mother nature gives us some favorable wind directions then they'll come. I was in Mound City on March 12th last year and that's when the count at the Squaw was huge. I predict a week to 2 weeks later this year. With the weather like it is right now, we would have to get an extreme warm-up along with s/se winds for Squaw to be holding any kind of big numbers in 2 1/2 weeks.

My uncle was in NE Arkansas hunting from Thursday afternoon until Saturday morning. They packed it up and came back Sunday with 27 birds between 7 guys in 2 1/2 days of hunting. I haven't talked to him yet. Not sure if they were lacking bird numbers, dealing with adults, or both. I'll post up when I talk to him.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.