Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well a few buddies and I started off the Sept. 1st opener only shooting 1 goose. But Ty515 and I had a descent hunt this morning.

Date: September 10th

Location (county): Polk, public area

Morning, afternoon, evening or all day hunt: Morning

Wind: Light out of the east

Temp: Not sure, it was warm. 70-80

Water hunt

Weather: Partly Cloudy

Hunters: Chris Sieler

Guided "Y" or "N": No

Geese killed: 3

Number of waterfowl not found: 0

Numbers of decoys and different types: About 2 dozen floaters. Mixed GHG's and Bigfoots

Comments: Had a single come in and Chris crunched him. Then had 3 come in and we ended up getting 2 of the 3. I took a banded bird.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Congrats on the hunt!! You or Chris shoot the band? I was thinking about you when I was in Granger today. I saw a pair flying towards that way. Wondered if they made it your way.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I shot the band. We had a single come in and Chris pounded him (head shot!) and then we kept seeing a trio of geese. They looked at us a few times and finally after seeing them for the 5th time, they committed fairly well and we dropped 2. Only saw the trio and a handful of singles all day, but everything we saw at least gave us a look. Had 1 single bust us...we weren't hidden all that good and he hung right over the boat and then flew off.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Missouri Snows, I actually talked to Victur earlier. He said he was on his way back from Ontario. He said they shot 103 honkers in 4 days, but left early as they lost their north wind that was bringing them migrators. I'm not sure I'm going to make it this fall to Canada with him with school and work....I just don't think this year is a good year to go. Hopefully next year!

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
i recongnize that boat...and i'll bet i know just where you shot them. good to see that you finally got in to a few. chris and i used to hunt together a lot when i was working in dm...i shot my first banded goose out of that boat. we had four come in and shot three, two of which were banded. i'm chomping at the bit here, but counting down the days...28 days till canada, and 2 1/2 months till we move to back to the midwest.

·
Registered
127 Posts
It was a good morning. If I could hit the broad side of the barn we would have had all three. Tyler made some impressive shots on the two he killed. I had the chip shot and missed his birds skirted and he got them both. Maybe there is something to that patternmaster!!! All in all it was a great hunt to dust off the dekes and looking forward to doing it again soon!

chris

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
9/14 Goose Hunt

Got out with 2 buddies to a pond inside the early goose zone area. We shot 3. Had 4 land to the right and out past the decoys. My buddy jump them and got 1 and I got 1 as well. Then a loner sailed around a few times. He never was getting any closer and I felt that it was going to maybe be his last pass. I called the shot and my buddy Trent smoked him. I think he was surprised as I was.....I was going to be the "back up" shooter after he "missed". :lol: It didn't work that way. High 5's were exchanged and then I headed out at around 9pm....had to work at 10. I just made it on time. 8)

Trent with his pair and myself with the 1 I shot.

Me and Jeremy holding Trent's geese....he didn't really miss any shots. We were just getting the shots and he wasn't. I felt bad since it was his spot.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Date: September 24th

Morning, afternoon, evening or all day hunt: Evening

Wind: WSW @ 10mph(ish)

Temp: 50-60

Water hunt

Weather: Mostly Sunny

Hunters: Al Dejong (HOLLYWOOD) and myself

Ducks killed: 10 total. 2 drake pintails, 2 bluewings, and 6 greenwings.

Numbers of decoys and different types: 1 Lucky Duck and 1 1/2 dozen mixed pintail, malalrd, and greenwing GHG floaters.

Comments: Lots of pintails (drakes are starting to color out descently well) were seen as well as a good number of teal. Most teal were greenwings, which makes myself believe that most of the bluewings have come and gone already. We had a nice bunch of about a dozen greenwings do it just right and we dropped 5 out of it. Other birds that decoyed were singles and small groups.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Date: September 27th

Wind: Light NW

Water hunt

Weather: Partly Cloudy

Hunters: Al Dejong (HOLLYWOOD), Derek Manser (Iowamigr8tor), Trent Sinclair, Matt Burns, and myself

Geese killed: 10

Numbers of decoys and different types: 1 dozen GHG lessers, 2 dozen Outlaw Silo's and 1'2 dozen RealGeese, 16 GHG FFD rester/sleepers, and a couple GHG Pro-Grade Lookers for the edges of the spread.

Comments: Birds worked very well and most shots were called when birds were committed at less than 20 yards. We were done before 8am. It was great to get out with all the boys and work some birds into the decoys.

SHOCKER!!!!!

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Date: September 29th

Wind: Light North

Water hunt

Weather: Sunny

Hunters: Trent Sinclair, Matt Burns, and myself

Geese killed: 6

Numbers of decoys and different types: 1 dozen GHG lessers, 2 dozen Outlaw Silo's and 1'2 dozen RealGeese, 1 dozen GHG shell decoys (mostly sleeper heads), and a few GHG lookers

Comments: Birds worked quite well again. Had a 3-pack come right in and we each dumped 1. Trent's was banded, which was his first band!!! Then Trent dumped a loner. Then another loner floated in and I let Matt shoot it, because he had to leave soon. It had a leg band, which was also his first band!! Then I dropped my final bird out of a pair. We got done around 9:30.

Matt and Trent with their banded birds.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Date: October 1st

Wind: Light North

Water hunt

Weather: Sunny

Hunters: Trent Sinclair, Matt Burns, and myself

Geese killed: 6

Numbers of decoys and different types: 1 dozen GHG lessers, 2 dozen Outlaw Silo's and 1'2 dozen RealGeese, 1 dozen GHG shell decoys (mostly sleeper heads), and a few GHG lookers

Comments: Birds worked quite well once again. Killed a flock of 3 that committed. And then 2 singles. Then a buddy dropped his last bird out of a small flock. One of my buddies had to leave early. Here's a pic of Chris and I with our birds. All of the birds shot today were naked legged.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.