Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Waterfowl Association of Iowa is proud to announce that the 4th annual Iowa Waterfowl Summit will be held August 2, at the VFW hall in Independence Iowa, 128 3rd Ave. NE.

12:30 to 5 pm. There is no charge for admission.

The summit is designed as a learning experience for waterfowlers about waterfowl and waterfowl habitat management. It also gives the average waterfowler the opportunity to directly ask questions or make comment to Iowa DNR staff including the Wildlife Bureau chief and waterfowl biologist.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Jeremy Rosonke
Zone 2 (NE) Director
Waterfowl Association of Iowa
[email protected]
641-330-7486

·
Banned
7,439 Posts
wow that date might work for once. I will have to see what is going on that day.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Is this just like the meeting that was at the Neil Smith Center in Prairie City last year?

·
Banned
7,439 Posts
Well I have some bad news. That is the day of my bachelor party. Don't think I am going to make it now.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is this just like the meeting that was at the Neil Smith Center in Prairie City last year?
I don't know that "just like" is the right way to describe it but yes, the same meeting, similar format just shortened a bit and no lunch.
Last year was very DNR habitat management oriented because it was done in conjunction with their own staff meetings, this year the topics vary a bit more.

Different topics,

we've got 2 speakers from the Bellrose Waterfowl Research Center in Illinois,

“Moist-Soil Management for Waterfowl” Dr. Joshua Stafford Bellrose Waterfowl Research Center, Havana IL.

Declining Bluebills: Regional Research on a Continental Problem" Randy Smith Bellrose Waterfowl Research Center, Havana IL

Guy Zenner of course discussing the season srtucture for this fall and the reasoning behind it, also the Flyway council meetings are this week so Guy and Dale Garner will be fresh back from those meetings to discuss what went on.

DU's first Iowa based biologist Eric Lindstrom will most likely be there discussing the living lakes initiative and other DU projects in Iowa.

We're hoping Matt Chouinard will be able to work us into his busy research schedule to talk about Delta Waterfowl's hen house super sites in Iowa and Minnesota.

Mike Griffin, IDNR's management biologist for the Mississippi river will be presenting on Miss river topics

and 1 or 2 other speakers yet to be determined.

As always there will be an extraordinary amount of information available for those that attend.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Every Summit has been different and informative (thought I missed the 3rd), this years streamlined design looks good. Let me ask, (since we're all thinkin' it) will adult beverages be available at the VFW? I'm going to guess yes but just to be sure.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No there won't be any acloholic beverages available during the summit.

But we are alowed to BYOB if a few would want to stay after the summit to help clean up and BS for a little while. Not too long,an hour or so maybe.

As for during, I think it's best not to.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Perfect, beers for the ride home; woohoo!

got a car load coming with me this year, I can't wait to get the info; plus I've got some issues I'd like to discuss with the big cheeses like Guy Z. and company. Wish I could make the marsh tour before hand, I love finding out about new spots to hunt especially since not many people know about it yet.

·
Registered
42 Posts
As usual Tom and Jeremy did a great job of getting a good mix of speakers on a broad variety of subjects concerning the waterfowl community. I got to meet some new faces, have questions answered, voice some concerns and learn a lot of new stuff, including the most current season dates and limits for this season (and yes there are some changes this fall so check out your regs...when YOU finally get them) courtesy of Guy Z.; you see there's benefits to attending the summit on top of all the goodies the boys provided. Thanks by the way guys, if I had my way I'd of stayed longer to talk more and pick your minds but one of the crew's wife cracked the whip so we had to split (being single has it's benefits too). I look forward to Summit 5; you know I'll be there if I can because YES it does matter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.