Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
IAW Veteran
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iowa pheasant count is second-lowest
Associated Press • September 11, 2009

Another bad year for pheasant hunting is shaping up in Iowa because of poor weather and the loss of habitat.

A statewide count shows the second-lowest number of birds on record - 15.5 pheasants per 30-mile route, down from last year's 18 birds. The record was 13 pheasants in 2001.

The Iowa Department of Natural Resources said the count should mean a fall harvest of up to 350,000 pheasants - about 33,000 less than last year.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I use to really enjoy pheasant hunting and watching a good pointer work, now I hardly see a one roaming the countryside here in Southern Iowa. When we were in South Dakota they were cackling every morning, almost forgot what one sounded like and you have to watch out up there for pheasants flying in front of you like we do deer here.

·
Man without a Plan
2,748 Posts
I know this would never fly with all the farmers in the state. But I would love to see Iowa pass a law that would require a farmer on each piece of land leave a 4 to 8ft strip along on fence, creek line on the flood plan or over the lip of ditch line that is CRP grass that cannot be mowed or bailed. Just think of how many arces of land that could be regained as cover for the birds with out a very large impact on overall farm land.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.