Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a friendly reminder that the ICN Meetings are coming up this week on April 27 to voice your opinion to the DNR and NRC about the proposed start dates for the north & south zone this year for ducks. For those that dont know, they are proposing both start the same which is :x

Here is the link to the information posted on teh DNR website http://www.iowadnr.gov/news/10apr/meeting.html

They have a pdf file of the ICN locations!

I'll be there along with sending a report to the DNR/NRC that I've done up. Here is alittle map of the season dates that surround Iowa, 09 dates.

Ask yourself, does this look right??

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
HELL NO IT'S NOT RIGHT

By the way folks, CAMO did an awesome Job on his data research & information presentation!

My hat is off to him and his hard work!

Rock On!

If you want to see his work I would e mail him and request a copy. It is some good stuff.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I find it amazing how much anger the season dates stirred up when the proposal came out and how little response there is to an opportunity to show the NRC we're serious.

Don't forget, they're also proposing to do away with the Odessa draw as well, this is an opportunity to comment on that as well.

April 27, from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Meeting locations:

http://www.iowadnr.gov/wildlife/files/files/10icn.pdf

AMES
AMES HIGH SCHOOL
20TH AND RIDGEWOOD

JOHNSTON
HEARTLAND AREA EDUCATION AGENCY
6500 CORPORATE DRIVE

CALMAR
SOUTH WINNESHIEK HIGH SCHOOL
203 W SOUTH STREET

MARSHALLTOWN
IOWA VALLEY COMMUNITY COLLEGE
DISTRICT 3702 SOUTH CENTER STREET

CEDAR RAPIDS
CEDAR RAPIDS NATIONAL GUARD ARMORY
10400 18TH STREET SW

MASON CITY
NORTH IOWA AREA COMMUNITY COLLEGE
500 COLLEGE DR

CENTERVILLE
CENTERVILLE NATIONAL GUARD ARMORY
R.R.1 DEWEY ROAD

OTTUMWA
OTTUMWA NATIONAL GUARD ARMORY
2858 N COURT ROAD

CLINTON
CLINTON COMMUNITY COLLEGE
1000 LINCOLN BOULEVARD

SERGEANT BLUFF-LUTON
SERGEANT BLUFF-LUTON SR HIGH SCHOOL
PORT NEAL ROAD

COUNCIL BLUFFS
IOWA WESTERN COMMUNITY COLLEGE
2700 COLLEGE ROAD

SHELDON
NORTHWEST IOWA COMMUNITY
603 W PARK ST

CRESTON
SOUTHWESTERN COMMUNITY
1501 WEST TOWNLINE ROAD

SPENCER
SPENCER PUBLIC LIBRARY
21 EAST THIRD STREET

DUBUQUE
KEYSTONE AREA EDUCATION AGENCY
2310 CHANEY ROAD

WATERLOO
WATERLOO NATIONAL GUARD ARMORY
3306 AIRPORT BLVD.

FORT DODGE
ST EDMOND HIGH SCHOOL
501 N 22ND ST

WEST BURLINGTON
SOUTHEASTERN COMMUNITY COLLEGE
1500 WEST AGENCY

IOWA CITY
IOWA CITY PUBLIC LIBRARY
123 SOUTH LINN STREET

http://www.iowadnr.gov/wildilfe/files/proposed.html

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hope to see alot of IAwaterfowlers at these ICN's tomorrow night.

Remember, these are at 6 - 9 PM so unless you work a night shift, there is not a single reason you shouldn't be there if you like to complain about the early duck season on the forums.

·
Registered
521 Posts
First time I have attended one of these meetings but the argument seemed pretty lopsided towards a 23rd opener...if only Mr. Davis would have slowed down a tad someone might have been able to tell what the hell you were saying :wink:

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
It was good to see what I think to be a much better turn out for some areas vs past years. I think it may take a few years to have these meetings retain their credibility standing with we the public hunter.

Are they the yes men to the IDNR or did they hear us sportsmen this time? We shall see soon enough.

Tom was fired up. That's what I am talking about.

To address Fred's issue on public notice. He hit it right, not all the newspaper folks thought this news worthy and we should take advantage of Public Broadcasting Notice opportunities via the boob tube and even radio. Public broadcasting public notices are FREE.

I had a good time tonight for sure.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Was anyone at the Ft. Dodge location? Today was my first day of work in over a yaer and I didn't get off until about 7, but I figued I could still make it to the second half of it. I'm in Ft. Dodge for the night and don't have a vehicle here but its was a nice night so I figured I could walk the mile or so over to the Ft. Dodge location and catch the second half of it. When I got over there evey door of the school was locked and I couldn't get in. They must have locked the doors after it started. Needless to say a was a bit pissed off that I walked all the way over there and was unable to get in!

Hopefully there was a better turn out than last year for guys wanting a later season.

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
I was pleasantly surprised in the turn out of waterfowlers tonight, other than a few of the sites that had one or nobody at them. Waterloo??? Gude, IAtax, golf league night or hunting shrooms??? :lol: Anyway, overwhelming support to move seasons from Guy's recommendations, which undoubtedly gave him a seriuos case of the red-ass, I'm sure :lol: He seemed very aggitated that there was so much opposition. Fred, call or email Todd Burras at the Tribune, which obviously you already did as you mentioned it at the meeting. There are a shit load of people that prolly didn't even know there was such a meeting. The DNR officials at the Ames site sat with myself and Cody for nearly a half hour and touched on some things that give me some hope as to what might happen. Still the NRC council members are the ones to that need convinced, not Guy. So...continue the emails to them and to Dale Garner as they do get to them and do take them seriuosly.

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
Matt, looked like there was 4 -5 guys at Dirty Dodge

·
Registered
423 Posts
Good god Kruger Tom understood me and he's an old man! Kidding Tom :wink:

Let's just say I was anxious to get my word in.

Christ Frank I didn't even realize it was you, you should have said something.

The thing that pissed me off was when the Commisioner's said they were dissappointed in the turnout. I about asked them if they'd attended the previous ones because compared to last year there was WAY more input for the season structure. Was it sufficient enough? Probably not but it's a definent improvement.

Like Dirty said I think there's room for hope, I considered it somewhat a victory.

The highlight though I must say of my night, was watching Zenner shrink into his chair, christ I thought for a moment he'd taken on the form of Casper, that hair is getting whiter and whiter.

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol: Casper that will be his new name Cody!!!

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Hey we have to understand that Guy works on this stuff and it consumes about all of his time. Then you have to think what he proposes has to go before the NRC folks and then we the sportsmen. All his work and time spent on it could easily be flushed down the drain in a blink based on how we participate as a waterfowling community.

Now if it was you doing all that work and then your work gets flushed you would be a little P/O to. However we are the public and they are there to do our bidding and to seek our wishes. That's how it goes. I understand why he may be protective of his work. I do not hold it against him but our wishes must be the order of the day that is followed.

If I was him and had to deal with this crap every year, I would have NO HAIR! I respect the guy and his work and you cannot fault a man for standing behind it iether! We all would do the same.

I think after today that you will not see a southern zone open and close on the same day as the North season proposal. They wanted more public input on the matter to make a NRC decision on the issue, they got it. Now if it goes the other way and the south zone does open and close the same day ,then we the sportsmen truly do have a problem with them listening to what it is we say and adds validity to what many already say.

" They don't listen to what we have to say so why even bother"

If there was ever a chance in hell to prove many wrong, today was the day. I await the final outcome.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
How did you like the Illinois duck season correction? They don't split their season or cant because they have 3 zones and just because they have a teal season isn't why they can hunt later. They have the same choice we do and that being where they start their season dictates when it closes.

WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BAM

Can anyone tell me how many ducks we harvest during the early season?
Of the number how many are teal only?

Now I think we catch the tail end of the teal migration myself and I know I am not the only one who thinks this way. So lets just say this to be true and we can estimate what our teal harvest is of those 5 days. Now that number may be marginal at best but then one could take those moderate statistics and multiply it by an additional 10 days to obtain a teal only season potential and overall teal harvest. Is that number greater than the present 5 day duck harvest numbers or less?

Let's also remember that those 10 days would be earlier and would put the bulk of that season right smack in the middle of the peak teal migration. So thus the number we get by estimation could easily be much higher harvest statistics than the present 5 day harvest statistics on all species.

·
lost
3,720 Posts
feathhd said:
How did you like the Illinois duck season correction? They don't split their season or cant because they have 3 zones and just because they have a teal season isn't why they can hunt later. They have the same choice we do and that being where they start their season dictates when it closes.

WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BAM

Now I think we catch the tail end of the teal migration myself and I know I am not the only one who thinks this way. So lets just say this to be true and we can estimate what our teal harvest is of those 5 days. Now that number may be marginal at best but then one could take those moderate statistics and multiply it by an additional 10 days to obtain a teal only season potential and overall teal harvest. Is that number greater than the present 5 day duck harvest numbers or less?

Let's also remember that those 10 days would be earlier and would put the bulk of that season right smack in the middle of the peak teal migration. So thus the number we get by estimation could easily be much higher harvest statistics than the present 5 day harvest statistics on all species.
i am far from an expert. i have no idea what the best season structure is. but, in my limited experience, i hunted with three different groups of people over thanksgiving last year, and we shot a teal with each group. is that scientific? hell no. does it disprove you? no. but i will say that i dont believe all the teal are gone by the second opener like i have read some people claim. sorry if this makes no sense, just my honest experience

·
Registered
579 Posts
overwhelming support to move seasons from Guy's recommendations, which undoubtedly gave him a seriuos case of the red-ass, I'm sure
I don't know that that's really what bothers him, some times he sees what is said as personal attacks on him and his credibility and some times he's right. Those are the ones that bother him most IMO.

In the interest of fairness,
The 23rd in the south zone was actually in his original draft and was changed after getting feedback from the wildlife and law enforcement Bureau staff.

And feathd saw that draft if I recall correctly so this isn't just me defending Guy.

Feathd, Guy told me later that Ray is in his ear about the same 3 zone 1 split structure you'd like to get for Iowa so much that that is what he was thinking about when he was asked about the IL ending dates.

small world huh :wink:

In any event, I would say I was disappointed in the turn out as well if I hadn't had as much experience at these as I've had. Don't forget the Commissioner that said he was disappointed in the turn out is far and away our biggest supporter on the commission and most avid waterfowler there too. As big as this issue seems to be at times he was absolutely right to be disappointed that more waterfowlers don't use the forum provided to express their opinions in a formal, "on the record" way.

Having 4 of the commissioners in attendance was a HUGE deal, to the best of my knowlege that's more than have been at any of the last 9 or 10 I've attended. In those years it was normal not to have ANY commissioners there to hear the passion in our voices. They only got the transcript later.

Frankly, I was a bit shocked (in a good way) that even though attendance was predictably low 2/3 of those in attendance were there to support the Sept 23rd south zone opener! We beat that horse to a pulp and it was GREAT!

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
mr89ia said:
feathhd said:

WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BAM

i am far from an expert. i have no idea what the best season structure is. but, in my limited experience, i hunted with three different groups of people over thanksgiving last year, and we shot a teal with each group. is that scientific? hell no. does it disprove you? no. but i will say that i dont believe all the teal are gone by the second opener like i have read some people claim. sorry if this makes no sense, just my honest experience
the day after turkey day it was 70+ degrees here in central iowa. saw a grand total of 8 ducks that day and only 2 flocks of canada's very near one of the closed area's for geese! not much reason to migrate or even move around to feed when it's that warm

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good to see the people from this site turn out to voice their opinion last night. There was some people that weren't there that are some of the bigger voices for later seasons that voice their opinion on the forums. I know some had work applications but others ??.

Cody & Kurt did a great job for being there for the 1st time and probably made more since then me talking, I'm much better at writing stuff then speaking.

I forgot the name of Bill's friend that really hammered Guy about Ill. having no splits in their season but after I bought up the part of them going later with only 60 days and Guy replying back because of teal and the split season, I could tell he was :twisted:

I know we could of had alot more folks there, but I think the most important part is that of the 27 waterfowlers that spoke, not a single one, was in favor of the Oct 16 starting date for the south zone. In my mind, the NRC should change the date just on that. They wanted to hear from both sides but yet last night, the "early season" people were a cricket chirp while the "late season" people were a bull frog. :D

We need a stronger turn out in August and continued emails send to the NRC.

Anyone know the date in August??

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
mr89ia said:
feathhd said:

WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BAM

When Bill said teal migration he meant blue wing teal migration. It is not uncommon for there to be green wing teal around all the way til a hard freeze.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Which meeting did you guys go to? I didnt get back in town from work till around 8. Who went to the Des Moines meeting?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.