Iowa Water Fowlers forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Greg Peterson and i am pretty new to waterfowl, been making an attempt to break into this sport on my own, not going well!! I dont really know any avid duck or goose hunters so its proving difficult.

Im looking for an experienced hunter who has an extra spot and would be willing to share some knowledge and experience with an inexperienced waterfowler
I really enjoy the small amount of time i have spent in a blind, I made a makeshift pop up for a 70,s jon boat , but it worked. I would like to teach this sport to my two kids down the road, I think its a great social type of hunting that they would really enjoy growing up.

Im 31 years old and I live in Geneseo, il. I served in the Marine Corps and I am an Afghanistan veteran. Im a straight shooter and a family man. If theres any one out there who is willing to hand down some knowledge and help me gain some experience I would greatly appreciate it. I will chip in gas money or help however I can, its the least I could do to repay the favor. Thanks!!

·
Registered
987 Posts
Wish I could be more help to you.
I've never hunted the Mississippi, and rarely even boat hunt anymore.
A couple of suggestions would be to scout .and scout some more .
I probably spend 2 hours scouting for every hour I actually hunt. Nothing beats being where they want to be.
Don't know how old your kids are ,but if trying access private ground kids are usually a big help when talking to the farmers.
When you are out hunting don't be afraid to move if birds are working a different spot.
The best advice I can give you on finding some local help is get involved with a ducks unlimited chapter. Volunteer on the committee, best way to meet people with the same interest.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts