Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how hardcore of a hunter are you.??? i was told tonight that it is not fun hunting with me anymore do to the fact that im to serious about it and i dont have fun and joke around.. im to HARDCORE !!!
I was told i dont like to kill geese that are 40yrds + and i get mad when they flare, and i get mad when we dont kill a limit !!!!(i dont care about limits)
I was also told i have been like this the last 2 years because of my call business and videos.
Im not into pass shooting birds,trying to kill them at 40 yrds + and laugh about it when we miss,and laughing when they flare becuase guys are standing in the decoys
i say the closer i get them the better i can kill them.. I play the game and i try to make it as fair for the geese as i can by decoying birds IN OUR FACE !!!!!!! Its not about limits of birds its about having fun and,,, and YES getting them FOOLED with what i have..I dont measure the success of a hunt on #'s or any of that..
So what's your thoughts on this ????
Tim

· Registered
6,741 Posts
Guilty as hell. I am there to put them on the ground, on the water stone cold smoked. Everyday if I can get it done. I am the same way when it comes to guys pulling up on birds that can't kill. However I have hunted with a few TN boys that after the hunt, I had to check thier dam shells. They would smoke a bird like it was 20 yards at 50 / 60. I mean dead on impact dead. I couldnt for the life of me do what them boys could do and I didnt even try. I took the easy ones at 20 / 30!

· Registered
33 Posts
Maybe someday you'll grow up and appreciate just being out spending time with mother nature. I've gone through the stage you're in now. I'm to the point now that I just enjoy spending time with my daughter, I actually get a much better thrill watching her kill stuff now. I really enjoy spending time with her, teaching her all the stuff I've learned over the years. I didn't get to spend enough time hunting with my dad when I was a kid, so I'm going to cherisht the time I get to spend with my daughter now.

· Registered
684 Posts
GOOSN1 said:
So how hardcore of a hunter are you.??? i was told tonight that it is not fun hunting with me anymore do to the fact that im to serious about it and i dont have fun and joke around.. im to HARDCORE !!!
I dont like to kill geese that are 40yrds + and i get mad when they flare, and i get mad when we dont kill a limit !!!!
So i say why the hell am i out there hunting?? if i wanted to watch birds flare and then miss and then laugh about it i would just stay at home and envite the guys over and watch the ducks on my pond and drink beer !!!!
I was also told i have been like this the last 2 years because of my call business and videos. This is the 2nd guy to tell me this and what can i say?? im not into pass shooting birds,trying to kill them at 40 yrds + and laugh about it when we miss,and laughing when they flare becuase guys are standing in the decoys talking about whatever when we still need birds and they are flaring off of them !!!!
So do you hunt to kill or just enjoy the time out and like wounding birds at 40 yrds + ???? i say the closer i get them the better i can kill them.. I play the game and i try to make it as fair for the geese as i can by decoying birds IN OUR FACE !!!!!!! Its not about limits of birds its about having fun and,,, and YES getting them FOOLED with what i have..I dont measure the success of a hunt on #'s or any of that..
So i see why the guys that are pros are the way they are.. I bet they have heard the same things along the way and that is why they dont trust anyone..
So what's your thoughts on this ???? are you as HARDCORE as i am ??? i hunt everyday and try to kill limits every day !!! just like Phil Robertson says.. im aloud 2 geese every day and i dont kill a limit every day but i TRY !!! :D
Tim THE HARDCORE GOOSE MAN !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :p
UMMMMMMMMM!!!! WTF???

· Registered
1,704 Posts
passion or obsession

i have a feedlot of black angus steers,are the license plates on my pickup cattelmen or d.u.? my machine shed has 1/4 of a million dollars worth of green&yellow iron,is that a deere or duck embolim on the entrance door? did i put up a 20x 30 shed for a golf cart or a boat,blinds and all the decoys& stuff i have acuired in 45 plus years?has my family & i spent many years and bocoo bucks restoring the old swamp on grampas homeplace because we like songbirds and the smell of stagnet water?do i (hang) with people like you, will i be at the rotunda later this month ?do i dress in como or nascar. the list can go on &on.i say passion because my hunting does not get in the way of my work or other aspects of my life. they trump my hunting.ask yourself this ?do you have such passion because of your financial investment(call&vidio) bad dog

· Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok.. to answer all of you best i can.... the killln birds qoute from the dvd is just joking around !! if you took it any other way im sorry... !!!
We all have had our ears rung and had that guy that is going to shoot over someones head to kill birds..
I guess i should of slept on it and then posted it simple today but i didnt.. I'm feeling like im not as hardcore as some other people but have been accussed of it and to me it is about hanging out with friends and razzing guys and birds are a bonus as they always have been to me...
Do i get a little upset when birds dont work like i want them to.. I would say maybe a little but i dont get pissed and mad just wonder why they are doing what they do and try to fix it to fool them and get thm close... Anyone and i mean Anyone can kill birds at 40+ yards and not have them decoy right in and have them slide and kill a few.... I'm not doing this for my calls or dvd's as i have not even had the camera with us this year as it broke about 6 weeks ago and i didnt care to get it fixed..
It has alot to do with losing our core group of guys and having new guys i dont even know hunting with us and i guess i feel pressure to have them kill birds because it is always let the new guy shoot first!!! so i try to get them a great shot at the birds so they will have a chance to get them...
I guess i differ from most of you guys in my hunting and limits of birds and killing 100's dont mean noghing to me but some think it does...
So maybe i need to take a break and look at the big picture as maybe i have become to HARCORE or take it to serious..
I put this post on here to see what you guys think and maybe i have been a ASS about hunting and next year i will try to just go and have fun..

· Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SBEII said:
If I said what I'm thinking.....I'd get booted.
say what your thinking ill make sure they dont boot ya !!!
That is why i put the post on here so i can get guys thoughts..
I guess after i re read it i should of slept on it and maybe not said a few things i did.. .Like killing birds and getting mad about not doing it..
I used to shoot birds passing by,let them land 50 yrds and ground pound them,shoot at them and laugh about missing and wonder why the hell they didnt come in and not worry about it... But since i have been getting them close and getting guys birds it seems we were have more fun killn than anything else... I get calls from alot of people around me that want to hunt with us.... WHY????? becuase we kill birds... NOT bebause we have FUN missing and joking... I dont understand why it has come to this around here but it is what it is... I wish we could just go out and have fun hunting the way we did but as we get more pressure on birds,fields,ETC, it seems i catch guys counting #'s..
The bad thing is both of the guys saying this has always kept count of birds we kill and i couldnt even tell you how many we kill because i dont care...
I measure our success by how much fun we had, and how well we fooled the birds..
Sorry you guys took my post the wrong way and think im a ASS but i guess i vented before i thouhgt about it...
ill edit my first post to what it should of said..

· Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok so i edited it to what it should of been..
i also changed my qoute on killn birds because those who didnt see the video wont understand...
Maybe i need to look in the mirror and see who i really am...
and maybe i changed do to trying to make a living in a tuff industry..
I guess i need to start putting my efforts in comp calling and not hunting!!!
Seems to be how guys get noticed and make it..

· Registered
832 Posts
I say as long as you're having fun screw the other guys, let'm go hunt someplace else.

Thats kind of why I only have a few guys I like to hunt with, we all know what we expect out of each other and are close enough that we can tell each other if theres a problem and nobody cries about it. Along with a lot of BS'n and havin fun. We don't go out there to bird watch, although it happens sometimes, but there ain't nothing wrong with tryin to get'em in close and kill'em dead. I ain't sittin there all giddy when they don't finish well either, but I won't be puntin a fullbody 20 yards because of it either.

8)

· Pelican
5,725 Posts
It's a passion for me, after the hunt I go home and dim the lights, poor a glass of wine, light some candles, and lay next to my take for the day while listening to Barry White - Can't Get Enough Of Your Love Baby. You guys wouldn't understand.

Signed Gude

· Registered
213 Posts
I am so hardcore one limit isnt enough for me. I kill and go back for more. Some times I shoot my limit with my gun, then have a pic taken with my bow, so I look HARDCORE. I face paint to be HARDCORE. I call like I am on stage, so I look HARDCORE. I toss bands on all my birds so when I am on the internet I can look HARDCORE. It is hard to see them because when I have my pic taken the camera man has to be about 50 yards away to fit my head in the pic!!!!!

· Registered
2,198 Posts
I dont' know whether waterfowln is a passion or obession for me, but if I had to decide whether to hunt or golf the rest of my life, I wouldn't think twice about hunting and I'm a golf professional & that's my job :shock:

I've only been hunting waterfowl for under 10 years, but in the time, I've experienced some awesome things in the outdoors. To me, hunting is more about hanging with good buddies & bs'ing, seeing great dog work, and fooling them into your spread as close as possible over just shooting birds to get a limit.

Taking photographs have also helped me realize that the hunt is more then just shooting. I'd would say I would get more enjoyment out of capturing 1000+ mallards over a field spread with my camera then shooting a triple at that same flock. I forget about the shots but I have a photograph for a lifetime.

· Registered
4,710 Posts
IAtaxidermist said:
It's a passion for me, after the hunt I go home and dim the lights, poor a glass of wine, light some candles, and lay next to my take for the day while listening to Barry White - Can't Get Enough Of Your Love Baby. You guys wouldn't understand.

Signed Gude
That's some funny shizzle right there!!! If you'd ask my wife she would say I have waterfowl's version of OCD!!! I would say borderline at best :lol: I would dim the lights and throw back about 4-5 BV&7's, myself!!! Not always about killin limits for sure. HAngin with the boys and the dog and bein able to watch birds do it right.... nothin better!!!

· Registered
5,693 Posts
I would say it is a combination of both for me!
I agree with Labman and spending time with kids, I would give my life to be able to have one more duck hunt with my son.
Was putting away Canada decoys today and getting the trailer ready with snow goose equipment. Yes we need to do these but why today? Hunting buddies where over and we could talk about past hunts and what equipment needs to be gotten for next season.
Mr. Shultz I also turned 2 duck calls this am in the shop and yes those hunting buddies had to give them a try as well!
There is nothing wrong with anyone on this site when it comes to enjoying watching waterfowl, or waterfowl related things, cherish everyday you can hunt with your kids and friends they can be taken away in a heart beat.
This is another reason why we will drive 41/2 hours on Feb 6th to Burlington, hear great music! and meet even greater friends and waterfolwers!!!!!
Dean

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.