Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here I sit at work this morning looking outside at a beautiful SW Iowa morning, I even saw ducks on the way to work this morning, have the boat ready loaded and ready but can't hunt until tomorrow morning. Just thought that I would spin a little note to see how the rest of you did this morning, itching to get out there tomorrow!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hunted eastern Iowa, a very good morning. Birds were flying well and my shooting got better once I remembered I had my modified choke tube in (changed it out for the improved). :D Shot 6 but couldn't find one in the marsh, called it a day when I got number 5 (I hate losing birds!). Ended up with 3 woodies and 2 BW Teal.

I did manage to lose my camera though! :twisted:

Had to start cleaning the house when I got home, prepping for a move. While cleaning the windows I stepped off the sill and fell into those damn pine bushes out front. Now I have a nice hole in my leg from a big branch! Hard to walk but still taking neighbor kid out tomorrow.

·
Registered
181 Posts
4 guys, and 1 bwt... lots of people out at our spot.. we only had a group of 3 work our spread the whole morning today.. upside tho. lots of shooting to move birds around and good numbers but they sucked cuz none really worked in on us..

·
Banned
8,540 Posts
Not the greatest opening for us. We had our spot lined up on private land yet someone who knew we were going to be in there and at that spot was there and refused to leave so we had our words and hunted upstream from them. Only managed a few birds. Going to put up a gate tomorrow farmer is tired of people going down there and not going by the rules!

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
We did better than I thought we would. 2 different times, we had small groups of mallards working really well (approaching in on last pass) and someone shot a few hundred yards away. We were 7 shy. Could have been close to a limit. We were getting greedy at shooting time as well, passing on singles and pairs trying to get a group in to really work over. Like I said, did better than expected. Had some boat trouble, though and that pretty much gave me the feeling of a neutral morning.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
my friend and i had our 6 woodies by 6:45am. didn't see very many teal in our spot. good wood duck numbers though. we saw 6-10 mallards all morning. it was my first early season in a long time...unloaded three times and didnt hit a duck. after that it was all good.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.