Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
873 Posts
Go try them and find out, I would bet they are about the same, but I would also think the softest of those woods would be the most mellow just because of how it would absorb sound. idk for sure though

· Registered
1,960 Posts
HEDGE HEDGE and HEDGE

I would say Bocote and Maple run a close second though. With my Lynch MOb calls the Bocote is it for me with Maple running close behind. I think George is kicking around doing some of of the goose calls and the Stranglehold duck call in hedge.

· Registered
1,023 Posts
hedge is mellow but walnut is the softest of them all.. hedge is very rough on the inside and walnut is a little bit rougher.. it is hard to get it very smooth. hedge is hard but it turns nice and it can get smoother than walnut.. that is what i have found... maple if the hardest of the ones you have listed.. out of the most used exotics cocobolo is the hardest.. with bocote a 2nd.. not counting blackwood or ironwood or some others.. the hardest of the woods i have ever turned is diamond wood... very hard and comes off the lathe in a very very very fine dust... the lenght of the calls can make it mellow also.. the longer the more mellow...
Tim

· Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ive had walnut before, about 10 yrs ago i had bought an old Lohmans goose call and it was so soft and mello it was perfect for small waters and putting them down, unfortunately over the years it has gone missing through moves and what not

· Registered
84 Posts
order you have them listed in is correct depending on what type of maple ur talking about. But hedge is by far the mellowest it seems to let more sound out of the whole call and then walnut followed by the maples

· Registered
311 Posts
The answer goes hand in hand with the question. The softer the wood, the softer the sound. Hedge will definitely be a louder sounding call as opposed to walnut or maple.

There are LOTS of variables that are involved with volume though.
You may want to look more into the bore of the exhaust hole on the insert instead of what a call is made of ( unless you want a wooden call )

I can tell you that I have a lot of acrylic calls ( hard material ) that are WAY softer in sound and volume than some of my wooden calls.

If you find a cedar call with a quarter in hole bored into it, then you may have found your dream call

Good luck on your hunt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.