Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

· Registered
3,789 Posts
I have 3 dozen fullbodies and only a dozen are feeders and the rest are actives and lookers and I dont have any trouble finishing birds into my spread. Just my 2 cents not tryin to start and argument just stating being on the X is the main point.

· pimpin' suzies
2,651 Posts
I grab every decoy I have when I head to the feild. Ratio's don't mean squat to the geese I am killing!

But, I will say I have more feeders than actives or lookers.

When you scout geese, do you look for geese that are feeding in a feild, or geese that are just standing in a feild?
You just went back on what you said.. By having more feeders than active/sentries on purpose, your following a ratio, not down to a percentage, but all the same.

And Iowa ducks.... What are you smokin? Cuz I'd like some:) better read a few of your posts before this page... Not razzing you just sayin that you did say someting about having more actives that feeders.. Hence why I quoted you previously....

· Registered
3,789 Posts
This is getting pointless! Just put out whatever and be done with it. I run more actives and lookers with a dozen feeders and still finish birds. So who really cares I am done stating what I use this is goin no where.

· pimpin' suzies
2,651 Posts
Watch live geese sometime in a field and that should help personally I think people get carried away with to many feeders. I have more actives then I do feeders just for the fact usually out of a flock of a dozen or so birds there is usually only a few eating at a time while the rest look out or are milling around the field in search of food. Another thing with allot of feeders scattered around it can make it look like there is allot of feed in the field.

· the frugal fowler
3,197 Posts
You just went back on what you said.. By having more feeders than active/sentries on purpose, your following a ratio, not down to a percentage, but all the same.
That is the most useless post of the year, and this is the second one since I need to explain it. You can put a ratio on anything in life. I hope you didn't just figure that out.:p

My point was that sometimes I grab all the decoys I can fit in my POS Ford Escape. I have 1 bag with feeders, 2 bags with 4 actives and 2 feeders in them. There is the chance that I will be shooting geese over 4 feeders and the rest active. It just happens. Sometimes the decoys get put away in the wrong bags, oh look, I through out another random spread. That fact that I own more feeders than active is just plain common sence. Doesn't have a thing to do with a ratio I am looking to obtain, or trying to be cleaver.

My old football coaches advice that I use still today is "keep it simple stupid". It helps to not over think things sometimes. The only thing difficult in goose hunting is finding the X and getting permission on it. jmho

· Pelican
5,725 Posts
Something to bring up in this conversation is some of us hunt geese that are high pressured birds where most of the time the little things matter in the end, as already at this point they've seen it all. I'd love nothing better then to hunt the birds most ya all do.;)

· the frugal fowler
3,197 Posts
Something to bring up in this conversation is some of us hunt geese that are high pressured birds where most of the time the little things matter in the end, as already at this point they've seen it all. I'd love nothing better then to hunt the birds most ya all do.;)
As I would love to hunt all the bands in your area also. The grass is always greener.....

But I do agree with you.

· Registered
423 Posts
On a non-snow cover hunt in a dry field we run 70% feeders, 25% actives and a six pack of Sentry's. And those sentry's are on the upwind side of the hole simulating birds that have landed racing to get ahead of the feeding birds. From the 3rd week of September until late November we hunt the same herd that after getting shot into a couple times hardly leave the golf course/refuge. While not trying to sound like a bad ass stoned cold killer, we kill plenty of geese on a consistent basis.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

If you have all sentry's it will obviously look like birds that are nervous, I can't remember seeing that mentioned but..

The best thing you can do is tailor your spread to what your seeing and what mood the birds will be in.

In dry fields early we start with a spread that mainly consists of a few feeders and mostly actives. Birds aren't hungry, the temperatures are mild and they generally feed for shorter time periods. When it's bitter, we may have zero actives or feeders and run 10 dozen sleepers.

Your ratio will be as consistent as the weather patterns stay........

· pimpin' suzies
2,651 Posts
That is the most useless post of the year, and this is the second one since I need to explain it. You can put a ratio on anything in life. I hope you didn't just figure that out.:p

My point was that sometimes I grab all the decoys I can fit in my POS Ford Escape. I have 1 bag with feeders, 2 bags with 4 actives and 2 feeders in them. There is the chance that I will be shooting geese over 4 feeders and the rest active. It just happens. Sometimes the decoys get put away in the wrong bags, oh look, I through out another random spread. That fact that I own more feeders than active is just plain common sence. Doesn't have a thing to do with a ratio I am looking to obtain, or trying to be cleaver.

My old football coaches advice that I use still today is "keep it simple stupid". It helps to not over think things sometimes. The only thing difficult in goose hunting is finding the X and getting permission on it. jmho
yep your right... your posts are pretty worthless...:p

· Registered
3,789 Posts
Hey I was just giving my opinion and you come on here bashing people when there just giving there opinions. Apparently you must know it all when it comes to goose hunting? If your gonna bash people go somewhere else.

· pimpin' suzies
2,651 Posts
Apparently I must huh...:rolleyes: I don't know it all and I won't cliam to... Actually the facts stated here by myself and others are all pretty basic.. If we wanted to go into detail, there is Not enough room on this forum!!

Last question for you to soak in. And I don't need an answer.
Which birds look more content? Active/sentries? or feeders?

Feeders will take the poll here. And content is also a good thing btw. I'll even bet that 95% of goose hunters who either do or don't know what they are doin will run more feeders than any other body style in thier field spread... That fellas is a ratio. And also what this thread is about.

Elem Ed course 101 considered over.:p

Happy hunting

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.