Iowa Water Fowlers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 9 Posts

· pimpin' suzies
2,651 Posts
I actually just figured the numbers today...My group just upped our full body spread from 10 to 15 dz this year... 3 of us split up the cost for 5 more dz...

To give an example: out of 5 dz, 2.5dz were feeders, 1.5dz were actives, and 1 dz sentries for extra measure

out total FB spread looks like this:
8z feeders
5.5 dz actives
1.5dz sentries

1/4 of our dekes are ffds

Not to mention the 3 dz shells that we have that have a mix of head positions

· pimpin' suzies
2,651 Posts
As for # of sentry theory... It depends... Watch/listen to the birds in the field... I use no fewer than 2 regardless.... And have use as many as 8 with only 2 dz other dekes... If the birds are vocal I'll use more... If not I'll use fewer.... You geese that call at birds in the air are not actives all the time and def not feeders... I personally have no experience with the number of sentries hurting our groups success

· pimpin' suzies
2,651 Posts
Watch live geese sometime in a field and that should help personally I think people get carried away with to many feeders. I have more actives then I do feeders just for the fact usually out of a flock of a dozen or so birds there is usually only a few eating at a time while the rest look out or are milling around the field in search of food. Another thing with allot of feeders scattered around it can make it look like there is allot of feed in the field.
1) Alot of feed is a good thing
2) If there is alot of feed or isn't, the geese will also be the judge of that. They can see grain suprisingly well.
3) you hunt fields to catch them as they come into FEED.

Be on the x and you won't have problems. Period. With 1 or 100 decoys.

(Here's is your post and my response)

· pimpin' suzies
2,651 Posts
I grab every decoy I have when I head to the feild. Ratio's don't mean squat to the geese I am killing!

But, I will say I have more feeders than actives or lookers.

When you scout geese, do you look for geese that are feeding in a feild, or geese that are just standing in a feild?
You just went back on what you said.. By having more feeders than active/sentries on purpose, your following a ratio, not down to a percentage, but all the same.

And Iowa ducks.... What are you smokin? Cuz I'd like some:) better read a few of your posts before this page... Not razzing you just sayin that you did say someting about having more actives that feeders.. Hence why I quoted you previously....

· pimpin' suzies
2,651 Posts
Watch live geese sometime in a field and that should help personally I think people get carried away with to many feeders. I have more actives then I do feeders just for the fact usually out of a flock of a dozen or so birds there is usually only a few eating at a time while the rest look out or are milling around the field in search of food. Another thing with allot of feeders scattered around it can make it look like there is allot of feed in the field.

· pimpin' suzies
2,651 Posts
That is the most useless post of the year, and this is the second one since I need to explain it. You can put a ratio on anything in life. I hope you didn't just figure that out.:p

My point was that sometimes I grab all the decoys I can fit in my POS Ford Escape. I have 1 bag with feeders, 2 bags with 4 actives and 2 feeders in them. There is the chance that I will be shooting geese over 4 feeders and the rest active. It just happens. Sometimes the decoys get put away in the wrong bags, oh look, I through out another random spread. That fact that I own more feeders than active is just plain common sence. Doesn't have a thing to do with a ratio I am looking to obtain, or trying to be cleaver.

My old football coaches advice that I use still today is "keep it simple stupid". It helps to not over think things sometimes. The only thing difficult in goose hunting is finding the X and getting permission on it. jmho
yep your right... your posts are pretty worthless...:p

· pimpin' suzies
2,651 Posts
Apparently I must huh...:rolleyes: I don't know it all and I won't cliam to... Actually the facts stated here by myself and others are all pretty basic.. If we wanted to go into detail, there is Not enough room on this forum!!

Last question for you to soak in. And I don't need an answer.
Which birds look more content? Active/sentries? or feeders?

Feeders will take the poll here. And content is also a good thing btw. I'll even bet that 95% of goose hunters who either do or don't know what they are doin will run more feeders than any other body style in thier field spread... That fellas is a ratio. And also what this thread is about.

Elem Ed course 101 considered over.:p

Happy hunting

1 - 8 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.